Is this possible?

Username: Wjscherer

Post Number: 1
Ok so I've never built a theater sound system before and I've been told that bookshelves are the best to start off with, as they will give the most noticeable increase in sound? I don't as of yet have a receiver to hook the speakers to, and I am wanting to plug them straight into the LCD TV with the red and white plug audio cord. Only thing is that the speakers I was interested in, Insignia® - 6-1/2" Bass-Reflex Bookshelf Speakers, don't have the inputs on the back for the standard red/white audio cable plugs. I went ahead and read about "bananna plugs", which the manual said can be used with the speakers, but I'm still not sure if they will work to hook the speaker into the TV's audio out jacks. And I don't want to buy anything unless I'm sure I can make it work. Just from reading this you can tell I don't know anything about audio systems so any reading material or advice would be much appriciated.

Thanks in advance,
Wes

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 811
Greetings Wes,

There are a few questions that come up to get a better grip on how to help you. I can appreciate what you are trying to accomplish by adding speakers to your TV and I am sure you will be happy you did but if I can dig a little deeper perhaps we can improve the results.

First question is what is your ultimate goal with this system? Are you planning to add these speakers to your TV and call it good or are you planning to make additions and improvements over time (I highly recommend the latter, misery and upset woman folk LOVE company)

Anyway the second question is, why Insignia speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Rmammerschuber

NY USA

Post Number: 18
Wes, the very first thing you need to identify is whether or not those audio outs (the red and white RCA jacks) on your TV are speaker connections or pre amp audio lines. Some TV's have both but if they are not amplified speaker connections then you will have to have a seperate amp to power the speakers. As for the bookshelf type you have to consider the frequency range and the lack of bass that is typical of small shelf speakers. The average book shelf speaker operates in the 80hz to 20,000hz range and your "true" bass usually falls in the 20hz to 60hz range.

Post Number: 2
Ok Robert,
The TV has 3 audio connections but the user manual doesn't say if they are amplified speaker connections. The 3 connections are as follows: 1. Component In (Analog connection, Uses Red, green, blue for video, red and white for audio). 2. Digial Audio Out (says for use with amps and home theater, this is an optical connection). 3. Audio Out (Analog audio output for use with amps and home theater system.) Just Reading this it sounds to me like I'm stuck having to buy a receiver to hook the speakers into. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 20
Well Wes, as you have deduced you're correct in that you'll need an seperate amp. This can be either bad or good depending on how you view it. The fact that you have optical out is a bonus if you make sure you're amp or HTIB has an optical in. The alternative for you is to look at powered (active) speakers like used with computers... For basic sound you can use that option but honestly, for the money, about $200.00 will buy you a cheap HTIB that would be much more enjoyable given you're not looking to shake the whole house. The system my daughter has in her bedroom is the MHT5005 http://www.memorex.com/products/product_details.php?section=&CID=&SID=&PID=50732 &FID= . Now keep in mind this is $140.00 and you only get $140.00 product. For that amount of money you could probably buy a decent (not great) amp with optical in and some cheap speakers until your ready to expand / upgrade. Jim would probably be better versed in advising which amps are good within a budget you might consider.

Post Number: 3
Robert,
I have a question about your daughter's system you linked to. First off, I really don't need the ipod dock or the DVD player, as my upconverting sony HDMI is coming in the mail from tigerdirect in a few days. And all these so-called home theater "Systems" I have been looking at, none of them come with a receiver or amp, so I'd have to buy one anyway. I was looking at this sony receiver http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=38092 12&CatId=3418, but I'm unsure as to go the receiver route, or just to buy an amplifier and hook my bookshelves into that?

As for what I'm looking to do with this system, it all started when my first LCD TV had it's speakers blown out by my visiting parents who are hard of hearing, so they crank the volume up and now my DVD's sound like complete crap. I don't want the same thing happening to the new TV, which is why I am bugging you with newbie home theater questions, which I am grateful you are responding to. So that being the case, no I'm not looking to shake the house, I'd like to be in the 3-400 dollar rage at the absolute max. I guess my only question now is receiver vs. amp.

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 21
Wes, the link you posted does not show me anything but I do see this one:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=38092 13&CatId=3418

and this one;
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=38092 12&CatId=3418.

Given the choice and your budget I'd definately go for the receiver as opposed to the amp only. I would also spend the extra $50 and get the STR-DH500 ($199 @tiger) so you have the features if you want them later. As for speakers the JVC SXXSW6000
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-SXXSW6000-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B000J34TPK
are low priced full featured with decent sound. for around $55. All said and done you will have an OK set up for less than $300.00.

A little better full set of speakers would be Yamaha NS-SP1800BL
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1800BL-5-1-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B001AVRD62.

If you definately want only 2 speakers and better quality then the Polk M30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290094

Going this route would allow for some expansion later if you decided to expand and upgrade...

Post Number: 4
Thanks for all your help Robert. I actually googled the sony 500w receiver you suggested and found it for $157. I already placed my order for it. As for the speakers, I am going with those polks from newegg.

Thanks again and take care,
Wes

Bronze Member

NY USA

Post Number: 22
Happy to help. For what you're spending I think you'll be happy with the result and if you do get that HT bug you can expand forward from this base. Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us