Which is more important? Receiver or speaker?

Username: Delirium

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a dilemma, I can affor either a Onkyo HT-S770 which is a HTIB with 130 watts x 6 and a 200+ watt sub.

Or I can afford a Harmon Kardon AVR-330 which has 65wats X 6 and no speakers. So I will have to buy some el cheapo KLH speakers.

I auditioned both sets & the receiver does not seem to make a huge difference, but the speakers do. The KLH are obviously not as good as the onkyo speakers. However I am torn between the HK & the Onkyo receiver because HK is audiophille quality right? And I can buy better speakers later right? Or am I all wrong & HK is just an expensive name that sounds just like the onkyo?

The HK with KLH will cost me $100 more than the complete Onkly HTIB setup. What to do? what would you guys do? Help!

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
I would buy a new receiver, with dolby digital, and used speakers, for the best bang for the buck.

Username: Delirium

Post Number: 2
All the pieces I am buying are brand new. Its just whether I should get the onkyo set or the HK with KLH speakers.

When I heard the systems, I felt that the onkyo was missing the bass but the highs were crisper & clearer. The HK has more bass, but the highs are more muffled.. is this right.. please help me decide.

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
Why buy new speakers that suck, when for the same dough you can buy used speakers that blow them away?

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 792
that's right, Mr V...now show 'em where they can buy the used speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 819
J,
the speakers will make the difference in your audio set-up. Don't forget they are the ones reproducing the signal that reaches your ears. They will show the strength or the weakness of your receiver.

The weak link in the Onkyo HTIB are the speakers, they really skimped on the manufacturing of the drivers. The HK is a very good, reliable great sounding amp. The key is, listen to the KLH using both receivers. KLH being the weak link both set-ups, but you may be able to hear the differences and pick your receiver in that manner. Then save up for a decent set of speakers.

However, there are those who believe that it is best to buy your speakers first then get the receiver next.

bhizzle
Unregistered guest
Uhhh, i got the Onkyo 760 and yes im a newb but OMG its freakin sweet for the price. Dude hold on to your socks thats all im sayin...

refurb $200: wow....

Username: Colala7735

Post Number: 1
Question about Pre-output:

I'm looking at Onkyo TX-SR601 A/V Receiver or TX-SR701 A/V Receiver. A noticable difference is 601 only has pre-out to subwoofer, while 701 has pre-out for all the channels. Does it make huge difference?

Username: Colala7735

Post Number: 2
Question about A/V receiver and pure audio receiver:

Anyone has some opinion how much difference is there between the two types of receivers in terms of sound quality when listening to music?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us