Cable Replacement

Username: Sheehachyahoocom

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to replace the current cable setup for my Hitachi 42 inch Plasma, Yamaha Reciever, Comcast DVR/Cable box, and Panasonic Dvd player. I've got component cables runing between the DVD and TV and DVI cable between TV and Cable Box. I'm using optical for both cable and DVD directly to reciever. To replace with HDMI cable, do I just run an HDMI between DVD and reviever and Cable and Reciever and then one from the reciever to TV or should I run HDMI between TV and DVD and TV and Cable and keep the opticals connections??

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 782
Greetings Chris,

Your question brings up a couple of issues that would being easier to answer by first asking you for some additional information. First off would be what your expectations are for this wiring change. Are you expecting great improvements to your audio and video or are you simply trying to clean up your wiring? If you are trying to clean you your wiring then the model number of your Yamaha receiver would be helpful in answering your question. Generally you would run all HDMI inputs to the receiver but there are compatibility issues with many manufacturers and wide variations between the model numbers.

Username: Sheehachyahoocom

Post Number: 2
Hi Jim,

Thanks so much. It's a combination of cleanup and improvement. I've run the wires behind the wall which is why I'm soliticiting information before I take off the TV. My TV is the Hitachi 42inch HDTV Directors Plasma Edition that is 2 years old.
I'm planning on replacing my DVD player with the SONY S-550 DVD (open to suggestions) and the receiver is the Yamaha RX 563. I'm not sure what the cable box is but it is the standard Comcast DVR/HD box that they assign.

Thanks so much for any/all info!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 783
OK Chris,

This makes a lot more sense and is so much easier to answer. I would buy a decent in-wall HDMI cable from www.monoprice.com and run it between the Yamaha receiver and the TV with 2 additional HDMI cables (also from monoprice) from the cable box and the new Blu ray. Simple because you have a very nice receiver capable of dealing properly with the AV signals.

Regarding the Sony Blu ray it is a HUGE pity that Yamaha doesn't have a player that is even remotely affordable (had to plug that in in the hopes someone will take note) but I guess I would look into a Panasonic unit because you have experience with the brand and then choose between the two.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 633
Why step up to the Sony S-550 when you'r going to use HDMI. Save $100 ans use the S-350. The diffence in the two is that the 550 has 5.1 Anolog out put.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us