Audio through sound system from HDTV

Username: Dshayden

Richmond, VA

Post Number: 1
Hello, Sorry if this is repetetive, it seems to be a common problem with many variations. I thought I posted yesterday, so if you can find my post, I am sorry again.

We replaced an old VCR/CD combo with a Sony upsampling DVD player.

We have a Samsung HDTV - model LN40a550, I think.

We have Verizon's motorola HD cable box.

We have an older stereo receiver (w/o HDMI) - it is also a SONY, STR-De-895, with 5.1 speaker system.

Since we removed the VCR unit we can't get sound through our receiver for our TV.

We tried HDMI cables but took them out on the advice of someone from BestBuy, and bought component video instead for the video. Video is not the problem.

We have a digital optical cord from the cable box to the reciever, it is in the "tv" slot on the receiver.

We have a co-ax audio cable from the DVD player to the receiver.

Audio from the CDs and DVDs is fine, through the sound system.

Component video goes from DVD and Cable Box to component video 1 and 2 on the tv.

TV speakers work when we set the input source on the tv to "TV". When we set it to "component video 2" to use the cords, there is no sound at all.

Shouldn't the digital cord from the cable box to the receiver take care of the TV? What are we missing?

And, were we right to take out the two HDMI cords? We originally had one, which worked when the VCR was in there. We bought a second thinking it would work for the new CD player. But because there is no HDMI on the receiver, it seemed the HDMI was grabbing all the audio and sending it to the tv, bypassing the sound system.

Finally, and least critical, is there some way to avoid having to do all the input switching when we put a cd or dvd in?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 781
If I read this right your only problem seems to be the sound from the Verizon box which is likely just an input assignment issue with the Sony receiver. It is necessary to tell the receiver where the signal should be coming from, in your case that is done by making sure the input is set to TV then press INPUT MODE and set that to OPT FIXED.

If you do not yet have a Blu ray DVD player component video cabling is fine (while HDMI is easier if your receiver were capable of switching it) bu tin the future do not buy cables at "Best Buy" a place like www.monoprice.com will save you a ton of money.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 634
The sound worked with your original set up? You swapped out the VCR for a DVD player and now your having problems with the cable box? Could be an audio set up in the cable box. If it worked with the HDMI cable set up, you might have to changed from HDMI to Digital in the Verizon box audio set up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us