Want to hook up speakers, can we convert RCA to dig audio output?

Username: Ives6797

Post Number: 1
We would like to hook up our speakers to our TV. It is way too quiet when watching a non-HD channel (HD channels are plenty loud enough). We recently got a Dish Network 722 receiver with HD. We have a DVD player plugged into the coax jack and the TV is hooked up through component and RCA cables.

Our stereo tuner for the speakers is a Kenwood that we have had since I believe 1995. It says on it "Kenwood Stereo Receiver KR-A5070". It only has RCA cables on the back, but we only have one set on the back on the 722 Dish receiver, which are already being used for the TV.

We were wondering if we could get a converter like this to convert RCA cables on stereo tuner to the digital audio output jack on the back of the 722 receiver. But the link says This item is for digital signals only. Make sure your devices say digital in or out. This item will not convert analog mono RCA to digital toslink. I have no idea what this old Kenwood tuner is. Any idea if it would work?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302 &p_id=2947&seq=1&format=2

Any ideas at all? We would really appreciate any help! :-) Thanks so much!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2462
­
Dawn, as the warning says, "This item is for digital signals only." This converter is useful for some situations, but not yours. All you need to do is to split the analog right/left stereo signal into two sets, where one set goes to the TV, and the other set goes to the Kenwood receiver (on any input you choose except 'phono'). To do this you need two one male to two female "Y" adaptors. These adaptors would plug in at the satellite receiver's stereo outputs, and then two ordinary RCA stereo patch cords would go to the TV and the Kenwood. By splitting the signal there would be a slight loss in gain, but that is easily compensated for with the volume controls on the TV and the Kenwood.
­

Username: Ives6797

Post Number: 2
Thank you! This sounds like a really simple spolution. We just didn't really know much about what to do. Your help is much appreciated!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2464
­
Sorry Dawn, I just realized I linked you to the wrong part. This is what you need:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-127

These Y adaptors can be found in stores like Radio Shack, Walmart and others everywhere.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us