Speakers and AVRS..OH MY!!!

Username: Bozobyte

Where Micky mouse lives, CA Good Ol U.S....

Post Number: 2
On and on with the technology...when is this madness going to stop?
Thanks for chiming in on my quest for finding the perfect receiver in my small modest listening/viewing room.
MY BUDGET: I'd like to say I don't, and couldn't afford anything over $600.00 on the AVR. The HSU research speakers I'm thinking about getting, are about $500.00, So for me, I think the total amount I would spend on this is about $1100.00, which is about $1100.00 more than I want to spend right now....lol :joke: hehe
I know there are better than HSU speakers out there, but like I said before, to me, they do sound crisper than the Polk 6880's I heard, and the HSU sub is 150w vs the 100w elongated sub that the polk has with their 6880 package.

The 10'x12' room just ain't big enough for the audiophile set of the new onkyo 9.1 channel setup coming out soon. I also head that Onkyo 707mwill be out soon. Originally, I was only going to do a 3.1 channel, but opted for the three additional speakers for the 6.1.

The fronts and rears... I was already planning on mounting them in the higher corners, so that "falling effect" won't help me if the 9.1 speakers are meant for going higher than the floor standers, which I do not have. Should I consider the new 9.1 anyway, because of the new processor, or will that make no difference unless I ultimately have all 9.1 speakers?

Unless the new Onkyo's that come out do not start over $600.00, or less, then I think I'm going to stay with the present three choices I have stated on my previous post.

The AVR's don't have to be THX certified, I need something that will add more effectiveness to watching movies and listening to mp3 music. (ipod or mp3 disc) And had HDMI Pass through and the DTS:NEO:6 or the DTS-ES 6.1 feature to utilize that 6th rear-channel speaker.

Another note. Am I sacrificing worse surround sound by only having the speakers up high (around 7 feet) as opposed to having fronts on the floor?

Whatever I do, I'm sure they will sound much better than my friends' Sony HTiab avr/speakers which are also mounted in his corners.

Why do you connect a TOS Optical from TV to the AVR again? I have one single HDMI behind the wall from the tv ot the Timewarner DVR, until I find a receiver..would be nice to play only TV speakers and not have the system on ALL the time.

Thank you

Don't pay any attention to the 3.1 or 5.1 text. I am going to use a 6.1 system, using a 7.1 ch. AVR

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 770
Greetings Jim,

I think I get the general idea of what you are planning but to answer a clear question you asked:

Why do you connect a TOS Optical from TV to the AVR again? I have one single HDMI behind the wall from the tv ot the Timewarner DVR, until I find a receiver..would be nice to play only TV speakers and not have the system on ALL the time.

The answer as I see it is that you don't. Getting a receiver that switches HDMI eliminates the need for the audio out of the TV that doesn't always work as one might want it to. With the idea that you do not always want your receiver on all of the time there would be a need then to take a separate audio out of your cable box to the TV.

In regards to your speaker set up please see if this helps you at all:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html

Username: Bozobyte

Where Micky mouse lives, CA Good Ol U.S....

Post Number: 3
Hi and Thanks, Jim,
You said "Separate audio out of your cable box to the TV." Do you mean carrying component cables from the Cable box audio-OUT, to the TV audio-IN? This will be the only way to listen to EITHER TV speakers with the Receiver OFF? Most people play their AVR's all the time, so I should be looking at AVR's that have the "Continuous, or FTC" average power, and not something that will overheat for short term. I was looking at the Onkyo 706, the Yamaha 565,or pioneer elite VSX-01TXH ( last June's model), but then noticed that the Harmon-Kardon AVR-254,and 354 has that continuous feature.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2461
­
"Why do you connect a TOS Optical from TV to the AVR again?"

Just to clarify a bit here, the main reason the optical output is on the TV is to feed the digital audio that's being received via over-the-air channel transmissions out to an external audio system. Also, most late model TVs that have QAM tuners can tune in unencrypted digital channels on basic cable (no set top box) and send the digital audio out on the optical output as well. Since you are using a cable company DVR, there is no need to hook up the TV's optical output.

"I have one single HDMI behind the wall from the tv ot the Timewarner DVR, until I find a receiver..would be nice to play only TV speakers and not have the system on ALL the time."

As JB has pointed out, separate audio needs to be connected to the TV, since the AVR will be off and the HDMI from receiver to TV will be dead. But, where's the video going to come from? You're going to have to run separate video into the TV as well. The best solution would be to run component video and analog stereo audio from the DVR into the TV. That's five extra wires. You would have to switch to the TV's component input if you want TV speakers only. Is watching TV without using the external audio system worth that hassle?

Your obsessiion with overheating would be justified if you are planning on placing the AVR in a space devoid of any air circulation. All receivers run warm, admittedly some more than others. But given a reasonable amount of space (at least 3 or 4 inches on sides and top), you should have no problems.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us