NON-HDMI receiver question

Username: Ninefoothoagies

Post Number: 1
I'm getting an Onkyo HTiB system, the HT-SR700 (I know...but it's only $180 at Accessoriesplus). My Samsung HDTV has one HDMI input. Neither my DVD nor my TiVo have HDMI out; I am, however, planning to upgrade both in the near future--and it's this eventuality I'm planning for.

Do I need (or even want) to route through my receiver? What are the benefits? Would a HDMI switch going into the receiver make a difference, or would I suffer any downgrade in image resolution or sound quality? (Am using short cables all around--<2ft, FWIW.)

Or, assuming I don't mind switching audio inputs on the receiver remote, can I connect audio sources (TiVo and DVD) to the two TOSlink inputs on the Onkyo receiver, and use Component cables to hook the DVD to the TV, and a HDMI cable to hook the TiVo box to the TV?

Short of recommending that I get a different receiver, what are my best, easiest options for getting digital surround sound and 1080p picture (assuming the latter comes from the input source)?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 764
Jim Bob

I am not quite sure how to put this but I will start by saying that the HTiB will likely work nicely in your existing system but you will, however, max out it's capabilities with what you already have. (How is that for putting it nicely??? )

As far as future upgrades go, well...

Did I already say that you will be maxing out the HTiB right now???

BTW- Yes, HDMI switching is one of the many benefits of a truly high quality receiver.

Post Number: 2
You offer that "advice" without even asking about the room I'll be using my HTiB in, or how I'll be using it (to say nothing of my budget). For the record: I'm not a very demanding user; this is a secondary system for my TV room, which is very small (approx. 14'x8'), and seats four or five. I watch mostly sports, some scheduled broadcast/cable programming, and, maybe 3-5 movies on DVD/month.

A related query (and I am sincerely asking, as nicely as the question would allow): Is it that hard to resist belittling other peoples' equipment (or judgement)? I mean, sure, I can understand that there's a frisson of oneupmanship among devoted fans of consumer electronics. But my initial question was a simple one: How I can get the best picture and sound quality and function for my budget (which is <$200)? The Onkyo system comes highly recommended for its price. Of course I know it has limitations--which is why I added, "(I know...but it's only $180 at Accessoriesplus)," to my initial query.

Is it too late to trouble you again to respond directly to my questions about hooking surround audio into my receiver? My current TiVo box has TOSlink out (presumably, so will any future one I purchase); my receiver has two TOSlink in. My TV accepts HDMI in, and has TOSlink out.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the reply. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 765
To answer your question more precisely, yes, use the optical outputs from your DVD player and TiVo to your HTiB.

Sorry about the perceived ill will, it never fails that when I try dance around an issue that it comes off wrong in text. It just never fails to amaze me that so many people will spend thousands of dollars on a TV then expect $200.00 to pay for an adequate sound system. Call it what you will but it simply makes no sense to me. If it works for you then I say,

ENJOY!!!

Post Number: 3
Well I think the problem here is largely one of inference: I didn't pay thousands of ANYTHING for my TV; I have a Samsung T240HD TV--24"; 1080p; the WORST in-board sound quality ever to emanate from singing greeting card-grade piezos--for which I paid $375 at Costco. And I merely want sound that's commensurate with image quality. (Frankly, spending thousands of dollars on TV makes no sense to me, period. But I didn't come here to question the judgement of others, only to learn the best way to hook my puny TV up to my hoopty sound system. )

Seriously, apologies for not being more forthcoming about all my equipment--I guess a fair number of folks on these boards spend wildly disproportionate amounts on video and audio components. (I guess that explains all the "white van speaker" threads hereabouts....) But for future reference, maybe you could just ask newbies like me for more info, rather than assume that we're mating golden TVs to iron pyrite sound systems.

Now if I could just get someone to answer my question about hooking the TiVo HDMI out to my TV's HDMI in--whether it'd cause conflicts with the TiVo feeding audio to the sound system via TOSlink...

Again, thank you for your time and patience.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 621
when using HDMI equipment most times there is a set up on the them (your case the TIVO) where you can send audio out from HDMI or not. In your case select bit stream or PCM out and the picture will go to the TV via HDMI and the audio will go to the receiver via Optical. There will be no interfernce between the two. Don't use the optical out on the TV, usually that is for the internal over the air tuner built into the TV. Even if it would send audio out from the HDMI in, the sound would probably be stereo only. The same for your DVD and cable box.

Post Number: 4
Perfect: Picture out from TiVo/Cable box HDMI to TV; Audio out from TiVo/Cable Box TOSlink to receiver.

Would I gain any advantage from passing the DVD signal through the receiver? (meaning, ease in switching between DVD and TiVo/Cable Box source inputs)? Would there be any gain or loss in picture quality?

I'll save questions about upconverting DVD signal for another thread...

Thanks, Casey.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2448
­
"Would I gain any advantage from passing the DVD signal through the receiver? (meaning, ease in switching between DVD and TiVo/Cable Box source inputs)?"

Video purists prefer not to run video through the receiver, unless there's a compelling reason to do so. In your case, you are going to have to switch inputs on the TV for video, and switch inputs on the receiver for audio. Running component video into the receiver from the DVD player gains you nothing -- except for you having to buy a second component cable set.

"Would there be any gain or loss in picture quality?"

Nothing noticeable, given Onkyo's minimum quality standards. There's enough bandwidth to accomodate 720p and 1080i video. 1080p is another question, but it's highly unlikely you'll ever have a source component that outputs 1080p on component. Moreover, it's also highly unlikely your TV will accept a 1080p signal on its component inputs (or, for that mattter on its HDMI input).
­

Post Number: 5
Okay then, lead sound to the receiver and video to the TV. So commonsensical, yet somehow counterintuitive at the same time ...

John: I'm a bit confused: Did you mean, "Onkyo's miniMAL quality standards," as in, standards that fall below what purists commonly expect, or "minimum," as in the baseline Onkyo establish for their products. Also, why is it unlikely that my TV will accept 1080p input signal? Is that peculiar to my TV, or something inherent to the HDMI format?

Thanks one and all for your time and guidance.

Best,

jb

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2449
"Okay then, lead sound to the receiver and video to the TV. So commonsensical, yet somehow counterintuitive at the same time ..."

Why is that counterintuitive? Even mega-buck flagship receivers are more about audio than video. Since the receiver doesn't support HDMI, you don't have the luxury of letting it be the total hub of your A/V system. While that may complicate matters a little, it's not that big a deal.

"John: I'm a bit confused: Did you mean, "Onkyo's miniMAL quality standards," as in, standards that fall below what purists commonly expect, or "minimum," as in the baseline Onkyo establish for their products."

Sorry, I was thinking your question was "will I lose" instead of what you actually asked "will I gain or lose". My answer should have been "minimal loss, given Onkyo's quality."

"Also, why is it unlikely that my TV will accept 1080p input signal? Is that peculiar to my TV, or something inherent to the HDMI format?"

I was speaking strictly of your TV's component input. HDMI is another matter. If your display is a so-called "1080p" TV, then it will convert every incoming video signal to 1080p. Even 1080i TVs convert to 1080p because all fixed pixel displays are inherently progressive. However, some older 1080p TVs will not accept an incoming 1080p signal on their HDMI input. So it all depends on your make and model.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11246_7-6388574-1.html
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2450
­
Sorry, I was in error in my last sentence in my 06:31 pm post. I should not have written "(or, for that mattter on its HDMI input)." I apologize for the confusion. For a minute there, I was living in the past when no TV would accept 1080p from any source.

Post Number: 6
"Counterintuitive," in that, given the arcane nature of HT and the like, I expected the more complex solution to be the simplest answer. A feeble stab at irony that fell flat, given the inscrutability of text...

But it's good to know that I sacrifice little in the way of function and less in terms of performance (all else being relative to the quality of my equipment and the demands I'll likely place on it--it's my TV, not the centerpiece of a home show palace.) Thanks again, John (and everyone else who chimed in). You've been both helpful and reassuring.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us