6.1 Speaker Placement - Room layout img attached

Username: Lugerxu

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to find a home for my 6.1 speaker set up. The problem is that I have an unfriendly surround-sound room layout.

I understand that the best way to ease the problem is to arrange the furniture in the room differently. However, that's not an option. So, I'm hoping you guys can help me achieve the best set up within my limitations.

Here's my room layout: Upload

As you can see, I'm missing SR & SL...where do you guys think it's the best placement for these?

I also know that my FR & FL are a bit too wide for the set up, but I can't place them next to the TV due to armoir doors being in the way. The only other alternative is to put them right next to the Center speaker, but that doesn't seem viable either.

Many thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 391
Can I ask why you are not open to changing the furniture placement? That is really your best option but if you cannot I would move the FL and the FR to either side of the TV closer to the TV and do something with the SL and SR where you currently have the FL and FR.... After careful thought thats really the only option i can come up with. There is nothing wrong with having the FL and FR right beside the tv. You will still get the proper effect when listening and with the SR and SL where i suggest you will have a configuration that achieves a suround effect. Leave the SB where it is..

Username: Lugerxu

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input. The reason for moving furniture not being an option is the aesthetics of the room + input from my wife :-)

The reason I didn't place them next tot he tv is b/c the tv sits in an armoir and its doors are in the way. I would have to place the FR & FL on top of the tv right next to the Center.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 714
One way to determine the solution to your problem Alex is to temporarily place the speakers starting probably near the walkways the right being on the right hand side of the couch and the left being on the right hand side of the chair (hope that makes sense). See how it sounds and tweak them for best results!

This is a secondary option and maybe not in the budget but a surroundbar such as this from Polk:

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/surroundbar/

would solve your problem as well.

More info:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html

Hope this helps

Silver Member

Post Number: 399
Jim, what would be wrong with putting the FR and FL next to the center above the TV?

Silver Member

Post Number: 752
From the original post:

I also know that my FR & FL are a bit too wide for the set up, but I can't place them next to the TV due to armoir doors being in the way. The only other alternative is to put them right next to the Center speaker, but that doesn't seem viable either.

I wasn't saying it, Alex was! It would be worth a try but the lack of separation might be a factor. The key is always to experiment and if you can live with the inevitable comprises most have to make the, sit back, relax, and enjoy!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 400
Sorry Jim, I was not questioning your advice at all. I was genuinely interested in what you thoughts were on placing them above the TV next to the center for future reference. I know that he gave the reasons he did not you. I just wanted to know what you thought about putting them there. I was asking you because I respect your advice not because I thought you did something wrong. Geez -sorry :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 753
Well my last post must have come off wrong! Does it really sound like I was offended?

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
well actually.... :-) doesn't matter -what do you think about placing them above the TV? Is it a bad idea?

Silver Member

Post Number: 756
Not at all, it is the first place to start and there really is no way of telling without trying. The thing to listen for would be how wide the stage sounds, in other words because the speakers are so close together there could possibly be a narrow focus to the sound where you cant distinguish the difference between the center speaker to the left and right. Spreading them out too far can cause equally disturbing effects but may be more dramatic and therefore preferable to some.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us