Sound treatment suggestions (pics)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12407
I'm looking at buying a house, and the media room is untreated. I would like to build sound damping mats for the walls, but need ideas for a good covering material (felt?) that will absorb sound, and be asthetically pleasing and any other suggestions for good DIY sound treatment for this room, due to it's shape and size.

The audio for the room will consist of a 7.1 audio system with:
Onkyo TX-NR906 receiver
mains: KEF 104/2 Reference (Raymond Cooke SE)
surround: Polk FXi3 (bipole)
rears: Polk FXi3 (dipole)
center: Pinnacle P5.5
sub: Energy e:XL-S12

also possibly my critical listening mains (Martin Logan Odyssey on a Krell KSA-250)

here's the room setup, with links below to larger pics:
Upload
http://www.glasswolf.net/misc/media1.jpg

Upload
http://www.glasswolf.net/misc/media2.jpg

Upload
http://www.glasswolf.net/misc/media3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and ideas.

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12415
nothing? people? seriously?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 702
I could tell you a lot more about the equipment you plan to use and speaker placement (like not doing it the way it is done in the photos) than what to put on the walls but since you guilted me into it:

The only suggestion I would have is to start out as it is, set up your equipment and see what it sounds like. It will likely be v a very "bright" room with a lot of reflection but to change that quickly you could then temporarily hang heavy pleated curtains to see if it truly sounds better to you. From that point you have so many choice to tune the room to YOUR ear such as materials from:

http://www.kineticsnoise.com/hometheater/

that it gets a little tough to be too specific.

BTW - where might NorhtWest MI actually be???

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12418
those photos are staged photos by the realtor. not my actual equipment.
I keep my speakers floor standing or on stands at ear level actually.. I think the builder of the house wired it all in that way to be less obtrusive. Anyway, The only part of that room's accouterments I plan to leave in place is the projector, and even then I'm strongly considering going to my 58" plasma set instead.

I'm over by Ludington/Manistee, although yesterday I was in Ann Arbor for most of the day.

This house I'm considering is down South, out of state though, and one of the few I found with even a remotely usable "media room" or room that could be used for such. Most of the rooms in these houses are totally unacceptable due to large window area, and very open spaces not allowing for decent speaker placement without cables running all over the floors. This room at least I can work with.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 703
I figured the equipment wasn't yours by your previous description. The room looks like a "bonus room" over a garage right?

What size would that screen be? Since the room has very controllable lighting a projector and a screen would be a relatively inexpensive way to go really big

Regarding your home location, I grew up in Traverse City and was just wondering.

Platinum Member

NorthWest, MI USA

Post Number: 12420
I'm flying down to see the place this month so I can find out more then. the projector and "HT" is included apparently, and the descrip of the home says it's one story but yeah I noted the angled ceiling and what appears to be a staircase in back so I am thinking it's over the garage as well. That'd be fine though.. Keeps noice in the rest of the house to a minimum.

I was mainly considering a way to build some large covered square/rectangular frames to place on the angled walls and the lower walls to absorb reflections, but wasn't sure what material works well, and possibly treating the corners somehow.. possibly using a bass trap or two.
That was the extent of my ideas for sound treatment, and most of the stuff I've seen being sold isn't that complicated to make for a tenth the price from a fabric store and some wood and a touch of cabinetry skill.

I may keep the projector if I can find out that it supports HD via HDMI. If not I may have to swap it out for a better one, as most of my sources are HD for video now (BD, HD DVR/DirecTV, PC, etc)

I go up to TC at least once a year to see one of my docs.. not a bad place up there.. though even colder than here.. haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us