Hooking up seperate DVD player

Username: Hdwires

Charlotte, NC

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone. Looking for some help... This may be long but I am grasping at straws to make this work, so if you can help, great. otherwise I will continue to pout until I can buy a new Home Theater.

I currently have Directv HD DVR into a Sony DAV-S300 Home Theater (all in one surround sound, DVD player, tuner, etc.)Well needless to say the DVD player on the Sony has died. I want to hook up a seperate DVD player to play through the surround sound as well as get the video to the Tv. I hook the seperate DVD player into the Video 2 outputs put I am not getting a picture.

I know I can hook the DVD player directly to the television but I want to use the surround sound when I watch movies.

Here is a picture of the back of my Sony DAV-S300. http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DAVS300_OM.pdf (page 11)

Here is a pic of the back of the TV:
http://www.abt.com/images/products/PDF_Files/pn_42-50_a450p_qsg.pdf

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 671
Greetings Terry,

You will be doing yourself a huge favor by connecting your DVD player video directly to the TV by either component cables (3 RCA Red/Green/Blue) or HDMI and the audio (either with optical or analog RCA Red/White) to the Home Theater. The composite (RCA Yellow) out of the Home Theater will not give you a very desirable picture.

Charlotte, NC

Post Number: 2
that's disappointing. I really wanted the surround sound. Thanks for the answer.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 673
I think you misunderstand me Terry, you will have surround sound if you follow my advise. It is not necessary to have a video signal sent to your receiver to still enjoy surround sound.

The bottom line is that the video signal is sent directly to the TV to get the best picture while the audio is sent to the Home Theater receiver to get the best sound.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Charlotte, NC

Post Number: 3
Ahhhh Haa. I re-read your post. Audio to surround sound, Video directly to Tv. Got it. I will try that. Thanks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us