Surroundbar Setup with 42'' LCD, Blu Ray, and Satelite

Username: Sparky33

Post Number: 1
Here's what I'm working with. My ultimate question is, which is the best audio cables and/or hookup to use for both watching TV and using blue ray player.

My original thought was to take an opitcal cable from the LG TV into the YAS-70 Sound System opitcal in.

Would I need to get an opitcal selector swtich if I wanted to have both opitcal audio coming from my blue ray player and TV? Or would it be just as well to have one i.e. the blue ray player output coax audio into the YAS 70 and the tv output opitcal audio ino the YAS 70 or vice versa? Is there a significant difference in this case comparing opitcal vs coaxial?
(note, all these items are more detailed on tigerdirect.com with more detialed photos). Much thanks for help.

TV: LG 42LG50 42" LCD HDTV with (Composite RED/WHITE), Opitcal, and Coaxial Audio Out
Blu Ray: Samsung BD-P1500 with Opitcal out and Composite(Red/White) audio out
Sound Sytem: Yamaha YAS-70 with Opitcal, Coaxial, and Composite (red/white) audio INPUT.
And Direct TV Satelite Receiver with only composite(red/white audio out).

I have from my blue ray player out going into my LG HDTV a HDMI connection.

Upload
UploadUpload

Username: Sparky33

Post Number: 2
My original thought was to take an opitcal cable from the LG TV into the YAS-70 Sound System (which is actually coming into the subwoofer from the YAS-70, not the surround bar.

Would I need to get an opitcal selector swtich if I wanted to have both opitcal audio coming from my blue ray player and TV? Or would it be just as well to have one i.e. the blue ray player output coax and the tv output opitcal or vice versa? Is there a significant difference in this case comparing opitcal vs coaxial?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 665
HDMI out of the Blu-ray into the TV. Audio (either optical or digital it does not matter) out of the Blu-ray to the soundbar. You would do yourself a huge favor by upgrading your Directv box to an HD unit because composite video on your nice TV is going to look very grainy and full of flaws.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 583
I know that DirecTV charges for the HD upgrade but it is worth it. You can then follow Jim's instruction and also use a digital out from the DirecTV box to the sound bar. Using the digital outs from the TV is hit or miss in that the will give a dolby digital feed for an antenna hook up but will most likely only out put stereo from any other source.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us