Set up question...brief

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 69
I am a novice at this HT setup.

I have a NAD 773 A/V reciever (no HDMI), a new Samsung HD TV, digital cablebox and blue ray player. I want to be able to watch cable TV and DVDs through my 5.1 speakers.

So quick question: Can I simply hook up the TV to my cable box with an HDMI, the TV to my DVD player with HDMI (or component), and them proceed to hook up the DVD player and Cable box to my receiver w/ audio cables? I just want to make sure that there are no video cables i.e. from the TV, DVD or cable box that will go into the receiver. Am I right in this thinking?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 640
The simple answer - Yes you are correct.

HDMI out from both cable box and Blu-ray to TV
Audio out from both cable box and Blue-ray to NAD receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 70
Thanks jim. Another question: With HDMI on the video, what audio cables are preferred? Can I use RCA audio cables (what I own now) or should I buy coaxial or optical? Is there a noticeable difference?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 645
Digital Coaxial or optical are 99.9% the same although some will argue while others still prefer the analog RCA connections. The big question these days is if the older receivers can handle the digital audio coming out of the Blu-ray we already know that many of the not so old Sony receivers can only handle the analog inputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us