Position of a center speaker in 5.1 setup

Username: Artemb

Post Number: 1
Hi guys,
I recently got Phoenix Gold in-wall mounted speakers to find out that I cannot position my center speaker right in the middle between left and right front speakers. Unfortunately there is a ventilation pipe hidden behid the dry wall right where I was planning to install the center speaker. The only possible choice to mount this in-wall speaker is 16 inches to the left, which puts it closer to the left front speaker. I was wondering if this is a big deal or not given that I have Onkyo SR706 receiver, which (theoretically) can automatically balance the sound. My other option is to return a center speaker and get a different one, which mounts on the wall, not in the wall. I'd like to leave this as my last option only if there is no solution for my existing in-wall speaker.

Thanks,
Artem

Username: Cbax9

Post Number: 3
I would think your biggest problem would be from an aesthetic stand point. I don't think you will notice much of a difference with 16" off center placement. If you can deal with the look of it, I would think the sound would be fine. I'm no expert but I have had to do similar things with previous set ups of my own.

Username: Texans2

Houston, TX US

Post Number: 4
So long as the center speaker is positioned below and near the TV itself you shouldn't hear much difference. Just remember the center channel speaker is where most of the dialog/voices emanates from and draws you to the TV. It wouldn't do to hear an actor's voice in your left ear when the TV is on your right.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2419
­
Ideally the center speaker should be in the center, but most home theater center speaker placements are compromises from the real movie theater setup where the center speaker is actually behind the projection screen. I had to make a similar compromise as Artem myself in my first HT setup. I got used to it quickly enough.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 616
What TV are we talking about here? If there is enough of a "shelf" on top the ideal solution would be to buy a center channel cabinet speaker to place it directly on top of or below the TV. If not, I agree with everyone here that the offset won't be that bad, certainly better than installing it in an air duct due to noise issues.

Speaking of which, if your air duct goes to a bedroom and you plan to install an in wall speaker near it AND use your system while someone might be sleeping in said bedroom you might consider putting insulation around the back of the speaker to quiet the noise sent to the bedroom. Now that there is one long run on sentence!!!

Username: Artemb

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys for your comments! I'm well relieved now. These speakers are paintable so I hope misplaced center speaker would not be very noticeable.

As of TV, I have Sharp AQUOS 52" LCD. There is nothing I can put on top of it (other than mounting directly to the wall). Jim, thanks a lot for the in-bedroom noise concern, I didn't think about that.

I guess I'll just install it 20 inches to the left (there is an additional 4 inches taken by the strut).

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 621
One more thing might be helpful:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2001
It's really not gonna make much difference at all.

If you're really concerned about it being oriented closer to center-line of the TV, maybe consider mounting it vertically in the wall.

Jim's suggestion about taking into consideration of vibrations travelling up the air duct is a good point, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us