Help Needed With Optical Audio Hookup

Username: Cbax9

Post Number: 1
I have a 42" Samsung Plasma, Dish Network VIP622 HD/DVR receiver and a Samsung Blu-Ray home theater (HT-BDE). I have the receiver connected to the TV with a HDMI cable. I also have the home theater system connected to the TV with HDMI. I was using an optical cable connection between the receiver and the home theather system. The problem was I was only get front and center channel sound on most channels and rarely got the full 5.1 that I should. I went back to the red and white component hook up and I got my surround sound back. What am I missing? Should the optical go directly from the receiver or home theater to the TV? Thanks in advance for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 613
You may have everything set correctly. Depending on what you are watching there may not be surround information on all TV programming. For example there is no surround information while watching the news so no sound from the surround speakers. Does this explain you difficulties?

Username: Cbax9

Post Number: 2
Thanks. I just assumed that I would get surround sound on all channels and I was wondering if running the optical from my receiver to my TV would make a difference compared to the way I have it set up now. But as you stated it is probably just the programming that is dictating the audio.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12170
if the show si encoded in dolby digital, you'll get discrete 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on the encoding) only with the use of a digital audio hookup like your optical cable, but even then, with a lot of movies for example, the surround is used for ambient effects like crowds, ricochets, and so forth so most of the movie you won't hear any surround effects because there's nothing to echo. If you use a DPL-II setting or synth'ed surround mode you'll get "made up" surround on nearly everything, but a lot of the time, it can be more annoying than accurate depending again on the source material.

Short of it is, use the optical cable. If you want to test the surround, try a DVD in dolby digital mode on the receiver, with a DVD like The Matrix, or something that uses a fair amount of surround encoding, and then stand by the rear speakers and see if you hear anything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us