Help Denon 3805 problem

Username: Clc08

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 1
Had it all working until we moved..Now we're stuck again. Denon 3805, 2 fronts, center, sub and 2 backs, all paradigm. Finally can get 5-channel surround with tv, but not when we play a dvd.
Current set up: Optical from the dvd player to receiver. Co-ax from cable box to receiver. Is there some setting we have to change to watch a dvd? We currently use the logitec to start tv, etc.

Obviously we aren't very good at this. Called store that sold us the equipment, but they no longer carry Denon.

We've sat with the Denon Manual, literally, for hours, but we're simply stuck. Husband is throwing in the towel. I say we paid all that money for good sound, we should figure it out!

Thanks for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 591
The setting you are looking for is the Digital In assignment (page 21 of your manual). You need to change this assignment from Coax 2 to Opt. 1.

Hope this helps

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 2
Jim, thanks for quick reply. We have it set to OPT 1 already, so it must be something else. When we play a DVD the Denon disply says,"Digital and PCM." Are we supposed to go into the DVD player LG DVB418 to make some kind of setting change?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2414
­
Try this Cinda,
Go into the LG's audio setup menu and make sure that Dolby Digital and DTS are both set to "BITSTREAM".

"Finally can get 5-channel surround with tv, but not when we play a dvd."

Are you saying no surround, or no sound at all from the DVD player?
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 594
The other problem could be the optical cable, check to see that it is firmly connected to both ends. If that isn't the problem and the cable was damaged during your move you may need a new one. If the cable is kinked or was bent the glass inside could have been broken.

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 3
Wow. 6 hours later. This is awful, but we've been in our new home for 2 years and felt so intimidated we didn't even attempt a fix.

For a while today we had surround from tv but not dvd. Then husband made some changes and we had no sound from anything.

Now. I think it works. I went into the receiver and set the tv, dvd, everything to 5-channel stereo. The LG has the Dolby Digital and DTS set to bitstream. To make the DVD work I got it started with logitec then used the denon remote and put the source on DVD the pressed the input until i saw all the speakers light up on the receiver. I know this sounds pathetic, but I think it finally works. Need to do a little tweaking on the speaker settings....we have a mic, but that can wait.

I am assuming that when we look at the receiver display if we see 5 speakers lit up on both sides, we've done it? All the sound seems to be separated properly among the front, center, 2 backs and sub.

From what I've said, do you think this is right? Is it possible that when the Denon display does show all the speakers are being utililzed on both sides of the display we still aren't doing it correctly? I did the change on the settings to 5-channel stereo based on an old Denon thread I found googling Denon 3805 no sound.....
Am I getting surround sound this way? Not just stereo? I'm basing my assumption that we have surround sound because the receiver shows 5 speakers lit up on both sides. Maybe that is a false assumption?

Appreciate your help so much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 600
The display should be an indication that things are as you expect but the true test is sound coming from the speakers.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2415
­
"Am I getting surround sound this way? Not just stereo? I'm basing my assumption that we have surround sound because the receiver shows 5 speakers lit up on both sides. Maybe that is a false assumption?"

Cinda, 5 channel stereo is not Dolby Digital or DTS, and therefore is not the preferred setting for playing DVD movies. 5 channel stereo is useful when you're in "party" mode and want to listen to music with all 5 (plus the sub) speakers putting out sound more or less equally. (See chart on page 80 of your owner's manual for an explanation of 5 channel stereo.) I know it's satisfying to hear all the speakers work, but this isn't the setting you want long term.

Your ultimate goal is to get the DOLBY DIGITAL OR DTS indicator light to come on when playing the average movie DVD. The first thing you need to do is set the speaker levels with the test tone as outlined on page 72. Once that's done, you need to adjust for auto set per page 76. I think that's all there is to it. When you play a DVD, the DOLBY DIGITAL (or DTS) light in the upper left hand corner of the receiver's display should be on, and you should be hearing the surround sound that's encoded on the disc.

You've got a very good Denon/Paradigm system, and it would be a shame not to get the most out of it.
I hope I've put you on the right track.
­

Columbus, IN USA

Post Number: 4
John, I was afraid it wasn't right. Just didn't sound right. I appreciate your post...very helpful. Right now we're watching the Colts game, so maybe tomorrow we can start at it again.

I have another question for you...when we are watching TV on an HD channel, what should the Denon display read?

Thanks again, Cinda

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2417
­
"...when we are watching TV on an HD channel, what should the Denon display read?"

The DOLBY DIGITAL indicator light should be on, like a beacon in the night...:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us