Newbie confusion: component cables, HDTV, and upscaling.

Username: Caphe

Minneapolis, MN USA

Post Number: 1
hello all - I just bought a 720p HDTV, and bought Monster component cables hoping to upgrade the performance of our DVD player. I was considering buying an HDMI cable for my 360 but 1) was unsure how to make that work out of my 360 and 2) my new flat screen TV is actually intended to be in a different room than my 360 and old tube tv. So I bought component cables intending to use my old DVD player.

However, I plugged the DVD player directly into the HD with the component cables and did a trial run of a new DVD I own - and the picture was a horrible, jagged, wavering mess, with a magenta tint to it. I tried to go into the HD menu and adjust color, etc but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

I read that my DVD player possibly does not upscale, and that I need an upscaling DVD player. But I read somewhere else that it's useless to get a DVD player that upscales to 720 p anyway. And yet another opinion is that movies are copyrighted (I'm not a bootlegger - I buy and rent movies) and that for some reason Hollywood films won't let you upscale with component cables.

In any case, this is all very confusing to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 564
You do not need an up scaling DVD player, depending on which TV and DVD player you have the TV may just upscale the picture better than your player. You need to set the DVD player to progressive in the set up menu to get a better picture through the component video cables this will output a 480P picture to your TV. Your TV scales all incoming signals to its native resolution (720P, 1080i, 1080P). Most DVD players do not scale up past 480P using component cables. Don't buy a new DVD player instead check out Blu-ray instead . Prices are dropping and come March-April look for even better buys as the retailers will be dumping there 08 stock to get ready for the 09 stuff that will be introduced in Jan at CES in LAS Vegas.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us