LG surround sound package help!!

Username: Aahubert

Post Number: 1
I just bought an LG home theater package. It has a LG 42" LCD HDTV, and a LG surround sounds package (HT963PA). My problem is that I have a satellite TV receiver, and a VCR. Right now I have the satellite running through the VCR which is then plugged into the TV. That is the only way I am able to figure out how to record the TV with the VCR. But my main problem is I cannot get the surround sound to play for the satellite dish. I purchased an optical cable and I have it running though that surround sound receiver into the TV, but the sound quality is very poor.

Now I'm not the greatest with all the lingo and knowledge but I do have things working at the moment. My question is. Do I need to get a new surround sound receiver for our TV? The receiver that came with the package isn't really a receiver it's more like a DVD player. There is only 1 av out and 1 rgb in. do I need to get one that has several in ports to allow the satellite, VCR, DVD player to be played over the surround sound?
Hopefully I am making sense lol
Thank you

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2404
­
Adam, your LG receiver does have an optical input. The question is whether the sat box has a digital audio output. If so, then connecting the satellite receiver's digital audio output directly to the LG receiver would be ideal.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 553
I purchased an optical cable and I have it running though that surround sound receiver into the TV, but the sound quality is very poor.
Running through the surround sound receiver from where? The optical should be run from the satellite TV receiver tyo the receiver. You can leave your VCR the way it is but you need to run a connection from your satellite TV receiver to the TV directly in addition to the VCR hook up. Using either Component video (RED GREEN BLUE) or HDMI from the satellite TV receiver to the TV is the only way to feed High Def to your TV.

Username: Aahubert

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all your help, I have figured out my problem. The satellite receiver is an older model and it is only sending out analog signal. So I am only going to receive analog sound. I will be upgrading to HD PVR with the HDMI cable, that way I will receive my true surround sound with the HD stations.
Thanks for the help guys!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us