Receiver recommendation for Sony DAV-C770 speakers?

Username: Alpinestar_k

Post Number: 1
So I was able to snag a set of surround sound speakers and woofer from the Sony DAV-770 "DVD Dream System" [Specs at: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/DAVC770spec.pdf] - but I'm running an older STR AV-90 Sony receiver...any recommendations for a newer, reasonably priced, receiver that would match my new system? The old AV-90 just won't cut it...
Any info would be GREATLY appreciated - Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 526
The key here is that the woofer is passive and will need power so any conventional 5.1 receiver is not going to make full use of your speaker set. So the first option would be, if you were able to snag the speakers is there any chance to snag a head unit?

Assuming not, the easiest thing to do is shop for a 5.1 receiver and a powered subwoofer. That may ultimately be cheaper, if not a lot better sounding, than buying a cheap HTiB and discarding the included speakers.

Username: Alpinestar_k

Post Number: 2
Thanks very much for the response; I had a sneaking feeling this would be the case.

I've been popping around a few sites to see if I can find a separate head unit for these, but no luck as of yet. I think I'll need to go the 5.1 route with powered sub. Any models come to mind? I'm trying to wean myself off my Sony habit...

Thanks again for the response -

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 530
A good place to start is with Onkyo or Denon for a non-Sony receiver. The choices for subs in wide open but I have a Polk in the living room that does a great job for what it is asked to do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us