receivers that are 4 ohm stable

Username: Majik

Post Number: 1
Hoping someone can help. I'm getting a new set of speakers (axioms epic 80s with the 500ep sub). I need to get a receiver that is 4ohm stable to power the mains. I can spend a few hours listening to music at high levels and when i watch movies i like to crank it - hey, you pay for it you might as well use it! right? :-)

After doing some research these receivers are supposedly good enough to do the job. Can anyone confirm?

the onkyo 805 and 905
nad 755

so is this true? as you can see, I'm looking for a receiver with hdmi ports of course.

another thing i was thinking about doing is buying another onkyo 605 (i'm making a separate theater/play room for my daughter so the one I have now will be going there) and hooking up two outlaw 2200 monoblocks. What do you think?

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 370
If you take a look at the online manuals for those receivers I am pretty sure that any one of them will do 4ohm or 8 ohm. You would need to change the receiver settings to accomodate 4 ohm.

Username: Majik

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jeff, I did check the online manuals, but what about having different ohm speakers? Only the mains of the epic 80s that go down to 4 ohms. Do I need a receiver that can handle different speaker impedance? Sorry, I'm new to the audio game.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1223
Personally, I would look into an amp / preamp combo. That will almost always cope better with a 4 ohm load, or loads of varying impedences than a receiver.

Only when you get up into the high end receivers (B&K) does this become a moot point.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us