How much is too much?

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 47
Last night, I was thinking about what I've read here in the last week or so, and the question came into my head: when considering power (watts), how much is too much?

I understand that many factors would be involved, some could be where you live (apt. or house), what uses your system has (music, movies, both), room size, acoustics, budget when buying the system, and personal preference (volume, bass, etc.)

The owner of the "100 watts total power" shouldn't be hated on here, perhaps his/her theater environment is very small, or budget was of primary concern, or perhaps this person just prefers lower decibel levels. His or her selection is justified, and rightly so. Also, the guy with the system that boasts 10 times as much power has a larger theater area, or just likes to crank it.

But that's the catch: it seems evident that choosing the right power level depends on these criteria. Is there such a thing as "too much power?" Does it make sense to own a 2000 watt system when you can only use 2/10 of the volume? If it's past that, is someone asking you if you're deaf?

At this moment, I'm of the thought that 'super systems' of 1000 or more watts are just too much, unless you live in a house, and your theater is literally a theater. It's nice to own equipment of the highest end, but if you can't use it to its potential, what's the use?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Your querry would require an entire volume of thought to properly respond to the variety of implications one can draw from such an ponderous question.
The answer to "what's the use?" is usually "because I can and you can't!"
This is America after all.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 678
~too much is when the wallet becomes unresponsive to the wants~

why can a ferrari go at an insane amount of speed when there are speed limits? Because it can!

Why did they climb Mt Everest? Because it's there!

Why does my wife have over 200 pairs of shoes? Because she's insane! But that's beside the point.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us