Configuring Home Theater with existing components - kill me now

Username: Bmcloske

Post Number: 1
I am so frustrated!

I have very basic components that I am trying to integrate together and I cannot sort it out for the life of me. I have cables of every friggin type strewn about my living room floor.

This is what I have:
*cable box
*tv
*vcr/dvd combo
*receiver
*cd player
*BOSE speaker system

The problem for us non-a/v folks is each component has its own manual giving sliiiiiightly different configuration guidelines so none of the diagrams match, of course. And...many of the units are backward-technology compatible so they all have nearly every style of cable/input possible (rca, coax, component, s-video, optical, blah blah blah) which makes it so confusing. I am 99% sure all the units can work together as none of them are that old.

My question is is there some sort of configuration tool that someone like me can plug in my specific components (with inputs/outputs) and it will spit out schematics?

Or someone I can call? Friend suggested calling the receiver manufacturer (since the receiver is sort of the core of a home theater) but I seriously doubt Onkyo is going to help me with a bunch of non-Onkyo components.

I am so frustrated I actually called geeksquad and firedog today for estimates for someone to come out, but am choking on the $150-200 price tag for something I know is really not that difficult!

Alternatively, is there a better company (than geeksquad or firedog) that would come out and set it up?

kill me now.

any responses appreciated.
thx in Advance!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 357
It would help a lot if we could find out what the model number of your Onkyo is.

You are correct in that the receiver is going to be the heart of the system and everything is going to be connected to it in some manner.

To your second issue, my company:

www.customconnectionsonline.com

is geared more toward what you are trying to accomplish than than big store guys are but chances are pretty good that you are not in the Detroit area. Have faith though, we can talk you through this!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 510
This site has been possted here by others befor and it seems to be simple and straight forward.
http://www.ceaconnectionsguide.com/

Bronze Member
Username: Hondafanatic17

Thompsontown, PA USA

Post Number: 26
I'm pretty good with the setting up process of this kind of stuff but what kind of tv do you have is it LCD, or tube type also how many speakers do you have it total that you are hooking up? It helps to know everything about your electronics so we can help you hook it up right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us