Yamaha HTR-5490 questions

Bronze Member
Username: Spops

Post Number: 35
I am trying to put my Yamaha HTR-5490 into a 5.1 mode. The receiver is currently set for 6.1. I have been searching through the manual but I can't seem to find the answer. Can anyone help me out? Here is the manual:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/re/HTR-5490_e.pdf

Also, what are some of the settings that I should make sure that I enable or change?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 309
To set to 5.1 the manual says to set 1D REAR CT SP to NONE in the SET MENU.

The easiest way to do this would be to connect one of the receiver's video outputs to the TV's video input then make sure that the TV is on the input that you used. That way when you hit the set menu button on the remote you will see the receivers on screen display on the TV.

From the first menu (in the set menu) that comes up choose Speaker Set then go to 1D REAR CT SP and set it to none. Doing so will redirect any sound that would normally go to the Rear Center to the surround left and right speakers. This does set your configuration to 5.1.

These instructions start on Page 52 of your manual. If you have any other questions on the settings in the SET MENU (again starting page 52) let us know....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Thanks Jeff :-)

Are there any other settings that I should make sure to Enable / Diable or tweak? I am still very new to the world of Surround Sound. Receivers are still a different language to me.

Thanks in advance :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 310
Yeah, there are a lot of very important steps you need to do that are all described in you manual. Especially those starting on page 52. You need to read it let me know what you do not understand so I can explain it to you. Otherwise I would have to detail each step in one post and that would be difficult to do. Its an 83 page manual! :-)

Were you able to get the recievers on screen display on the TV? If you need help with that look on page 21 of your manual for more detail.

What speakers are you using this time?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
It is a Bose Acoustimass system. I believe that this is it, but not sure what generation I have:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?search=bose+acoustimass&i= 018AM5IIIW

I believe that it was purchased back in 2001/2002 so it must be generation 1.

I have not had a chance to try the on screen guide with that receiver yet but I am about to go and try it out now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Ok, I finally got into the on screen setup menu. Took me a little while because I did not realize which input I needed to be on in the back of the receiver. I was able to disable the rear center speaker with out a problem, I just set it to "None"

Now In this on screen setup guide... For the speakers what do they mean by Large and Small? I am guessing that it means the speaker size, but how would you determine what's a large speaker vs. a small one?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I know that you said:

"Yeah, there are a lot of very important steps you need to do that are all described in you manual. Especially those starting on page 52. You need to read it let me know what you do not understand so I can explain it to you. Otherwise I would have to detail each step in one post and that would be difficult to do. Its an 83 page manual! :-)"

To be honest I have just been going through the manual and I honestly do not understand about 99% of it. So far these seem to be the main things that I do not understand:

- How to I set the speaker distance? Or If I can not how do I calibrate them properly?

- How do I know if I should change the speaker output levels?

I am sorry but I know I am sort of a basket case when it comes to this. I will learn as I go along, but as of right now all of this is another language to me.

Are there certain other things that I should check/change? You do not have to describe it all to me, just point me in the right direction. I'll go research it and read up about it than if I have specific questions I'll come back to you.

Thanks in advance for your patience. ;)}

Silver Member

Post Number: 311
Set the speaker sizes to SMALL. Doing so will direct low frequencies to the subwoofer. Simply put; "the speakers are not going to handle bass well so it is best to leave this up to the subwoofer." You will also need to set 1E LFE/BASS OUT to SUBWOOFER so that frequencies at 90Hz and below go to the sub. If you set to LARGE then you would be relying on the speakers to handle bass which you do not want to do...

When you change the speaker output levels you want to hear the tone or the music (pages 23,24, and 63) at equal levels from the main listening position. In other words what you are hearing should apear to be at the same volume from each speaker from the main listening position. When you cannot measure this you have to just play it by ear. I would get the front left and right the way you want them and go from there.

I do not see a setting for speaker distances in the manual. If you do let me know what page? :-)

When you have done these things let me know what other questions you have about the manual? Sorry Brian but you are going to have to look at your manual and tell me what you are having a hard time with. Use the manual as a guide and ask me to explain what you do not understand. We have to start somewhere :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us