Question about the sony srt de197

Bronze Member
Username: Vt_ahole

USA

Post Number: 61
quick question... this amp is rated at 100x2 watts. does that mean that if i hook up two speakers in stereo to one channel that i'm getting 50 watts a speaker?

I'm looking at getting a pair of sony ss-f5000's... right now it doesn't look like this amp can handle them.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 290
There are 100 per channel, or as you say speaker, available with your amp.

Question for you: Why the Sony's? Have you listened to them?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 63
no i havent... i just picked them because i've had many sony products and they've all been relatively good quality, are cheap, and lasted...

if you have something else to suggest please do! i already have the amp and my budget for two speakers and a powered sub is about 400 bucks. i was looking at getting the SA-W3000 powered sony sub.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 64
also the amp has two channels for a and b... so basically 4 channels. thats why the 100x2 confused me

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
I do not necessarily have a "better" suggestion regarding the speakers, I was hoping you had heard them somewhere and thought they were fantastic. If you get a chance, please go listen to them before buying. I am not saying they are bad but you ought to let your ears decide what sounds best to you!

Technically, there are only 2 channels available in your amp. That being a left channel and a right channel. If you had 4 speakers hooked up to your amp, 2 speakers on A and 2 speakers on B 2 left speakers would be sharing a 100 watt amplifier and 2 right speakers would share the other 100 watt amplifier but this doesn't necessarily mean that each speaker only get 50 watts and will sound terrible.

From this point I am going to punt and simply say that in most cases a 100 watt label means very little as apparently no standard exists.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2292
­
"quick question... this amp is rated at 100x2 watts. does that mean that if i hook up two speakers in stereo to one channel that i'm getting 50 watts a speaker?"

If you have 4 identical speakers, 2 hooked up to Speaker A terminals and 2 hooked up to B terminals, then yes you would be splitting the available amplifier power between to the two equally.

"also the amp has two channels for a and b... so basically 4 channels. thats why the 100x2 confused me"

No, this amp doesn't have "basically 4 channels". This is a stereo receiver that offers the option of listening to a second set of speakers play the same signal as the first set of speakers, while dividing the amp power of each channel between two speakers.

"I'm looking at getting a pair of sony ss-f5000's... right now it doesn't look like this amp can handle them."

Why would you say that?
­

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 65
ok thanks a lot for the help!

one more question tho... lets say i buy the two sony speakers and the powered sub. I hook the two speakers up to the 'a' channel left and right. since the amp doesnt have a sub preout i would have to hook the sub up to the 'b' channel and rely on it's high-pass filter... is this okay? i've had other a/v systems before but never one without a sub preout.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2293
­
Sorry Jim, our posts crossed.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 66
"I'm looking at getting a pair of sony ss-f5000's... right now it doesn't look like this amp can handle them."

Why would you say that?

i figured that if it was only putting out 50 watts then the ss-f5000's wouldnt work

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2294
­
You would be getting 50 watts only if you were driving four of those speakers simultaneously. And even if you did, this doesn't mean that it wouldn't work as Jim has already said. But you're going to buy only one pair, right?

Alex, if you get a sub to work with this amp, make sure you get one with speaker level hookups. The back panel would look something like this:
­
Upload

Note the terminals for speaker wire hook up. You would hook it up like this:
­
Upload

Depending on where the crossover is set, the sub would separate out its operating frequency without draining the power going out to the main speakers. This way, the sub would reproduce the bass signal from both channels. And it would still use its built-in amplifier to power the subwoofer's speaker.
­

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 67
ok thanks a lot! the picture really helped.

do you happen to know if the SA-W3000 has this capability? i cant tell from looking at the specs.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 299
Wow! Hi John Where ya been? :-)

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2295
­
Yes Alex, that Sony sub can be hooked up the same way. Just follow the diagram in the installation intructions that come with it.

Hey Jeff, I've been hangin'. Not too much time to play around here -- heavy work load. You OK?

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 70
Thanks for the help! just picked up the sub yesterday at CC for 60 bucks! freakin bargin.

I got SS-B3000's to go with it... I looked at a bunch of reviews and people said that for a small room setup these should do just fine. $160 total works for me

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
Reviews can tell you anything they want (just like the evening news) but the real test is how they sound to you!!!

With that said, HOW DO THEY SOUND TO YOU???

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 300
John,

Doing good! Works crazy for me as well. Not enough people in my department meaning I am running a two person job by myself. I guess thats life :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us