Home Theatre w/ TiVo?

Username: Kinstephen

Sacramento, CA United States

Post Number: 1
Can someone tell me the best way to setup my home theatre system in order to hear cable (through Tivo), DVD through all 5 speakers?

I have the following:

Reciever: Yamaha 5840
TV: Sylvannia SST4323
DVD: Sony DVP-NC80V
Tivo: Series 2 DT

Any help setting this up would be very much appreciated.

Free Chipotle for anyone in the Sacramento, CA area with help on this!

Thanks,
Stephen

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 263
There should be audio output on the Tivo that you can connect to the receiver. What does the Tivo have; red and white, or digital audio?

Post Number: 2
It has Red & White

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 264
Connect that to the receiver with a red and white cable. Make sure that you get the left and the right correct. Use red for right and white for left or whatever just make sure they match. Once you do that select the input on the receiver that pertains to where you connected the cable. You will then hear the Tivo sound.

Also make sure that the Tivo does or does not have digital audio. If it does it will say coax or optical. Coax is orange rca type and optical is a little square looking port with a tiny door on it.

Post Number: 3
Ok I understand everything so far... But I was kind of hoping for a diagram of some sort between the 4 boxes described in my first post (which included modal numbers you could lookup for a view of the back of them)...

Also, I forgot to mentioned, I'm doing this without a cable box (Comcast).

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 241
This may be more confusing than simply writing but see the attached file for your diagram. I can only copy the pictures of the Yamaha and the TIVO. If you need them you can get pictures of the Sony from here:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11039419

and the Sylvania from here:

http://www.manualshark.org/manualshark/files/21/pdf_14978.pdf

From your Sony take the optical out (1) and the S Video out (6) to the indicated location on the Yamaha.

From the Yamaha take the indicated S-Video out to the Sylvania S Video in (15).

All the rest should be described in the attached.

Hope this helps, if all were right with the world (money wise) I would be traveling to Redmond CA for a graduation party and would take you up on the Chipolte deal!Upload

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the help! I'll try this out as soon as my banana plugs (Nakamichi) from HK show up. This diagram is exactly what I was looking for! This should be really easy to setup now.

You mentioned Redmond CA?, Did you mean Redmond, WA? Bout two states away ;-).

Thanks again,
Stephen

Silver Member

Post Number: 244
Ah, my bad! I meant REDDING CA!!!

Red something or other!

Post Number: 5
Redding? We'll once you arrive, you're welcome to drive 3 hours south down to Sacramento for your burrito. :-P

Post Number: 6
The banana plugs finally arrived today from Honk Kong (only place to find inexpensive ones but still decent quality). Anyways, I followed your instructions and diagram and everything is working without a problem!

Thanks so much for your help Jim,

Stephen

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
That is good to "hear"!!!

Enjoy!

Post Number: 7
Ok guys, I got another item I want to add to my home theatre system. I just signed up for more cable channels, which now requires a digital cable box. In this diagram, How does this get setup with the rest of what I have here?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us