Search for new AV Reciever

Username: Parkerra

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 1
Looking for advice on a new AV Reciever that would compliment my Sony KDL 46W3000 LCD. Have a mixture of Bose and Sony speakers presently, but will update later. The AV's I like are the Onkyo's TX SR705, 606 and 605. have also looked at Sony STR DA4300ES and 3300ES. Really looking for advice to compliment the Sony LCD in the $500.00 to $600.00 range

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [ in the Detro..., Michigan USA

Post Number: 231
The Onkyo TX SR705 is far and away the best choice on your list. It will not only compliment your Sony TV but quicky become the heart of your system.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 254
I agree. Its a great receiver and not much more than a 605. Its future proof and will do anything that you could possibly require of it. High def. sound, 7.1 config., HDMI 1.3a 1080p switching, lots of digital inputs, THX Certification, automatic (audyssey multeq xt) setup, hdmi upconversion, true 100 watt per channel not just peak, 3 hdmi inputs as opposed to the 605's 2 hdmi inputs. I own one and would not trade it for anything! It would be difficult to find a receiver with similar or better capabilities in the 705's price class.

Silver Member

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 232
And Rob, trust me Jeff can and will answer any question you could possibly conceive of on the 705.

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 2
Jeff/Jim, Thanks for the response.
Jeff, can you tell me what the hdmi upconversion will do for me, or is it a mute point w having the KDL46W3000. Do you have a preffered online site for purchasing the 705?

Silver Member

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 235
If I may, although not asked, I think I can help.

The HDMI upconversion will be really important to convert all of the signals going into the receiver from older equipment (VCR's and the like) to give the best possible picture to your KDL46W3000.

Also, here is an article I just ran into that you might be interested in:

http://magazine.playbackmag.net/playback/200805partners/?folio=162

(Navigation buttons are upper left)

And finally Amazon has the 705 for $519.00 and I doubt you could do much better than that. You might find a better price on a refurbished unit but then take your chances on that (many happy returns but not all) and you might find a low cost site that literally makes you add an "extended warranty" to make a profit on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
Yeah Amazon is fine. Mainly what the HDMI upconversion will do is make it so the only output to the TV from the receiver will be from the receivers HDMI out. What this means is that you will be able to connect anything to the receiver in whatever form be it Composite (red, white, and yellow), S-video, or Component, and the devices will output from the receiver as HDMI to the TV. In the past you had to connect an output from the reciever for each type of input with HDMI upconversion this is no longer necesary and will save you some money on cables and some effort. Again this is mainly what this does but you may also be lead to beleive that the quality of the picture is also improved by doing this. The premise is that most of the signals that are upconverted in this manner are of lower forms of output such as 480i and 480p and the upconversion changes them to 720p. I would not get too excited about that because in my opinion this so called improvement is minimal or not noticeable at all as an improvement. The important thing is that it does not result in any decrease in quality and that doing this simplifies your setup to a significant degree. To re-iterate -HDMI upconversion makes it possible to only have one output going to your TV from the receiver regardless of what is connected to the receiver. One of the big advantages to this is that you will only have to select one input on the TV so the TV input will never have to be changed the only input that you will need to change will be on the receiver. None of this really matters if all you are using is HDMI. It only matters if you are connecting inputs of varying types to the reciever.

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 3
Jeff,

Thanks for all the info, I should have mentioned I have a Sony Blu-Ray DVD Player. With this in mind, do you still think I should go with the Onkyo 705 or can I get by with a 606 or 605 at a cheaper price, and not run my video thru the AV? New at this and learning as I go, sites like this are great learnig tools.

Silver Member

Post Number: 256
The 605 is not a bad choice. Its really up to you which one you get. You can still run the video thru the receiver with the 605. You will just have one less HDMI input to work with on the 605. I really need to know what the model number is on the Sony Blu-Ray player and also please let me know what components that you are planning to use other than the blu-ray player now and in the future. I would go with the 705 obviously it is really a much better receiver all around for not much more in price but if you can't afford then you can't -again its your decision.

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 4
Jeff,

My components are:
Sony BDP S300 Blue Ray
Sony CDP CE305 CD Changer
Sony KDL 46W3000 LCD
Have you looked at the 606, it has 4 in and 1 out HDMI, I think it replaces the 605? So it is probably bt the 705 and 606

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
The 606 is also an excellent choice. The 606 is not only a good choice but for the price is superior in quality to most! If the 606 was around when I bought my reciever I might have considered getting it instead as well. In my opinion the main thing is that you are going with Onkyo. To me there is no other brand. They have the best deal on speakers as well. I do not see their speakers recommended often but they are actually a good choice. They are very inexpensive and for the price sound very good! The 606 acutally has one more HDMI input than my 705 and performs similarly to the 705.

You did not mention anything for cable or sattelite. Was this an oversight or do you have sattelite or cable and if you do what kind of set top box is involved and what form of output? Also I forgot to ask what kind of output do the Sony BDP S300 Blue Ray, and the Sony CDP CE305 CD Changer have (hdmi, component, s-video, or composite?) If you are not sure about how to identify this let me know and I will guide you.... Also you did not mention any plans for components in the future?

I would use the Receiver's Audio and Video switching capabilities and only use one hdmi input on the TV with all of your components connected to the receiver. That way all you have to do is turn the TV on and you are done with it. You will then use the receiver to switch between components. Its the best way!

The 606 should be your baseline I would go any lower in model number.

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 5
Jeff,

I have a Dish Network Model VIP 622DVR High Def, it is HDMI, the Cd player is component. I dont have any future plans to buy anymore components, unless i upgrade speakers. Right now have two old Rectilinear floor models, 2 other sony floor models, bose center and reap channel speakers. Teh Rectilinears are from the 70's and sound great, the sony floor models are will do and the bose are ok, thanks for all you help

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
OK, one more question before we draw any final conclusions. I am a little confused on the cd player. If it has component output then it is not just a cd player as component is a video output and cd players are only used for sound so if it also does video then it is a dvd player and not just a cd player. What do you plan to do with the device that you are calling a cd player -just music?

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 6
Jeff,

I am only going to use the CD player for music, it is fairly old, sorry about confusing you on the cabling for this cd player, they are red and white cables

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
Are you sure it does not have a digital audio output such as optical or digital coax? I am thinking that if it has component that it also has digital audio. The optical is identified as optical and looks like a small black square looking port with a tiny door on it. The digital coax is an RCA type connector that is usually orange in color and is identified as coax. Check the cd player for one or both of these outputs it may have it...

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 7
Jeff,

The CD player only has one output, it has a red and white cable plugged into it

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
Your only decision for now is the 705 or the 606. Either one is an excellent choice.

Important: You are probably going to need some help setting it up so you should probably let me know when you get the receiver so I can tell you how.

I know I have said this a couple of times but since you have not shared any thoughts you have on this I would like to reiterate the you will want to use the receivers switching capabilities to simplify your setup. Please let me know if you do not know what I mean by the receivers switching capabilities. What are your thoughts on this?

Here are my thoughts on how to set this up.

Connect the Dish using HDMI to the receiver, connect the blu-ray player HDMI to the receiver, connect the cd-player using the red and white to the receiver. Then all you have to run to the TV is HDMI from the receivers HDMI out to the TV's HDMI in. Again this way you are only using one input on the TV and will not have to deal with changing the TV input all the time as well. You will just have to turn the TV on and you are done with the TV. Then as you would anyway you will just have to change the input on the receiver. This will also make it easier to teach anyone else that will be using the receiver how to use it as there will be a lot less involved as far as what to do for daily use of the system because you are only dealing with one set of inputs instead of two. You won't have to worry about anyone saying "Rob, this is way to complicated, I want it back the way it was." :-) This is really an important part of the investment you are making as a lot of what you are paying for is to have this switching capability.

This is also going to save you money on cables because the only "long" cable you will need is HDMI from the receiver to the TV. All the other cables going from the components to the receiver can be 3 feet because the receiver and your components will be on the same rack. Shorter cables cost less money. Using the switching will also require fewer cables saving you money on cables as well. Using the receivers switching is just the logical way to go.

Another question, both of these receivers are what are known as 7.1 speaker setup. Do you know what this means?

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 8
Yes, will let you know when i get the new receiver, but just found the 705 for 440.00, and the 606 is at 440.00, should I still go with the 606 because of the HDMI ports?

Silver Member

Post Number: 261
Based on what you are using and what you plan to use I would just go with the 705. Its a better receiver and unlike the 606 it is THX certified. Even if you ended up with another HDMI device the 705 will probably be adequate with its 3 HDMI inputs. You will probably never need 4. Why are you avoiding my questions on setup? :-) What do you think? I am only asking because of one of your ealier statements and because if you are not planning to do it this way you may be spending money on something you do not need so to properly guide you on what to get I kind of need to know what you think?

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 9
Did not avoid your question on setup, that is exaxctly the way I will go, I even copied the directions to another doc for use down the road when i finally do purchase one. If I can get the 705 for 440.00, will take the plunge

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
Cool! Thanks for that! That being the case then go with the 705 even if you have to pay a little more to do it. You will not be sorry you did!

The thing that you really need to consider at this point is that to use the receiver properly you are going to need 7 speakers and what is called a subwoofer. Even if you use fewer speakers you will at least need a subwoofer. I wanted to let you know that you can get an entire set of these speakers from Onkyo for about $300.00 and that would at least tide you over until you can upgrade.

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 10
Jeff,

Got the 705 and hooked it up last nite, all components work, but having trouble with remote, got it to work with the CD Player, but not the Blue Ray or the Sat box, any ideas?

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
Are you saying that you are not getting video or audio on the sat box and blu-ray? If so I need to know the following.

How did you connect the Blu-ray and Sat box -HDMI? You probably need to assign the HDMI input to what you connected them to. I need to know which input you used for each. The hdmi inputs are labeled HDMI1, HDMI2, and HDMI3. What did you plug the Sat box into? What did you plug the Blu-ray into?

When you tell me this I can tell you what to do next!

If you are just having problems programming the remote let me know.

Bronze Member

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 11
Getting video and audio from sat box and the Blue Ray,just cant control their functions, other than volume with the Remote, as i said above the CD player is fine, volume, fast forward etc work great from the 705 remote. Assigned the Sat box to HDMI 1 and the DVD to HDMI 2, and plugged them into reciever on same Sat HDMI 1 and DVD HDMI 2. Not having any other problems with remote. Can the Blue Ray be a problem between rf and ir?

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
They are infrared if you can control the volume. Unfortunaltely where codes are concerned there is not a lot you can do about this outside of trying codes until you can get one to work.

Fortunately the Onkyo remote is capable of learning commands from other remotes. Look on page 107 of the onkyo receiver's manual. If it is not on page 107 let me know. This will explain the procedure for assigning learned commands to the Onkyo remote. Just assign the commands that you want to the buttons on the Onkyo remote that you want to control the commands. You can do this to control any component that you are using the Onkyo remote for.

If you are not happy with the Onkyo remote this is what I use. It is also a learning remote and costs $30.00. I like it because it controls everything, is smaller, and more ergonomically correct.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Universal-7-Device-Remote-Control-with-Learning-F unction-R7G/sem/rpsm/oid/136939/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

How many speakers do you have and do you have a subwoofer? Did you do the Audyssey auto-setup?

Bronze Member

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 12
I currently have no subwoofer, I do have a Bose 161 center speaker and the matching rear bose for it. My two front speaker are old Rectilinear, which sound great, and no have not tried the Audyssey auto setup yet, too busy and its noisey here right now. Still wantin to get a sub and maybe two more for a 7.1 affect, but open for suggestions, thanks again

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
How is the low bass effect with your current speakers? Do the rectilinears do a good job on bass (low tones)? If you are happy with the sound go with it. The system is really designed to be used with seven speakers and a sub but if you can't do that now you can't. I would probably wait to do the Audyssey setup when you have the proper configuration on speakers. You can get an entire 7.1 set which does include a sub from Onkyo for around $300.00 the last time I checked. You could as you suggest get a couple more speakers and a sub and this is what I would do to make the best use of the investment you have made in the reciever. Are you considering doing this at all right now? What are your immediate plans for speakers? It is really worth while to consider this to make the best use of the receiver....

Bronze Member

Mitchell, IN USA

Post Number: 13
Jeff, I would like to pick up two more Bose cube speakers and a subwoofer, and I know most people give Bose a hard time, not much quality for the price, but I am at the point where if i do buy more speakers to compliment the 7.1 capabilities of the 705, and at the same time if I ever want to get rid of what i have I should stick with Bose, maybe the Acoustimass sub and two cubes, what do you think,

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Its really up to you. You don't have to get Bose because you have two Bose speakers but if that is what you want to do I don't think you are making a terrible mistake or anything. You could go with whatever speakers you want to. Don't think that you are some how tied down to getting a certain kind because you really aren't. Get whatever suits you and your budget. My primary suggestion is to at least augment your current setup to have full 7.1 or at least 5.1 as soon as possible.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us