Denon avr687 problems

Username: Blindobject

South River, NJ United States

Post Number: 1
I just got this receiver for free and I've never had a real receiver before. I plugged everything in as it looks like it should be, but I get no sound. All the speakers are in proper place and inputs too. Is there something I have to do with the settings before I get sound?

Post Number: 2
I can post pictures if needed, by the way.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 218
Any sound when you select "tuner"?

If not the first place to check is that the speaker wires are not shorted, next check the power supply (AVR is plugged in, display lit). next the speaker selection buttons on the front panel are properly set. These should give you some ideas on where to start and perhaps you have already done all of this but then we would need a few more details.

Hope this helps,

Post Number: 3
None at all, not even white noise. Since I don't have an antenna. What do you mean by "shorted"? It's plugged in. And what do you mean by speaker selection buttons? The A/b thing?

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
Is there anything else plugged into this receiver such as a CD player, a DVD player, or a TV? If you are only trying to use the radio with no antenna then this could be the cause of your trouble.

Regarding the term "shorted" there is a "circuit" or pathway generally accepted to be from the red speaker terminal on the receiver along a single wire to the red terminal of the speaker, through the speaker, to the black speaker terminal through a second strand of wire to the black terminal of the receiver. Any "short" of this circuit will cause the amplifier to go into protect mode if it has one or worse if it doesn't. Either way, no output.

And yes, the speaker selector(A/B)needs to be properly set to get any output and I just remembered another thing. Is there anything plugged into the headphone jack? That would be another reason the speakers don't work.

Post Number: 4
My xbox360 and computer are plugged in.

Xbox 360 is plugged into Aux input(red/white).

Computer is plugged in into CD input (red/white also).

A and B are on. And no headphones are connected. I'm going to re-plug the speaker wires.

Post Number: 5
I have MTS speakers and I also tried regular stereo speakers. My friend got one speaker working last night when he was messing with some settings. I'm really not sure what to put the settings as. I reset it and it still doesn't work.

I was thinking maybe the receiver is broken, a wrong setting or the speakers don't work with receiver.

Post Number: 6
I found this setting that says

16cr. Over XXX hz

The options are 40hz/60hz/80hz/90hz/100hz/110hz/120hz/150hz/200hz/250hz

Does this effect output at all?

And my volume only goes up to 15.0db and goes down all the way to -80.0db.

Help please, greatly appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
The crossover will affect things but not to the extent of no output.

What speaker worked at one time? Keep the volume low and remove all the speaker wires but that one to see if you can get back to that point. If so then add the remaining speakers back in one by one.

Post Number: 7
I don't remember quite which one, I think it was front left. What is low? 5db?

Post Number: 8
I have the volume as high as t goes, which is 18.0db. When I put my ear right on the speaker, I can barely hear the music. Maybe it's a setting?

Post Number: 9
I've been messing with it, and when I press the "status" button and scroll through the status, I see that all speakers are on 0.0db, which I think is low or nothing. Is there a way for me to separately raise the volume on them?

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
Low would be something like -68 dB.

Perhaps the best way to go here is for you to look through the manual for your receiver. You can find it here:

http://usa.denon.com/AVR-687-OM-E.pdf

When you raise the volume and faintly here your source that is crosstalk and it is likely that you may not have the correct input selected.

The status button is explained in the manual but if everything is set at 0.0 then I believe that means it is simply neutral rather than off. You would have to go negative to lower (attenuate) it's output. This would be done if it were closer to your seated position relative to the other speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 249
The question I would ask is why was it free? Did it work before it was given to you? Can the person that gave it to you give you any insight?

Post Number: 10
He gave it to me for free because he got a new one with HDMI and newer stuff.

I have that manual, and I've been looking through it, still didn't find anything that could fix the problem. I reseted it a couple of times and still nothing.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 497
Let me see if I can help. Start from the begining. Connect only the CD player using RED and WHITE connectors, and the front two speakers, double check that + wire goes to red and the - goes to black. The + wire is ussually identified by some kind of marking while the - is plain. The volume works like this -80 no sound, 0 very loud + 1, 2,3... you can do damage to your speakers set the volume anywhere between -20 and -30. Play your CD using a stereo sound field, if no sound is heard and all your connections are done correctly you have a bigger problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Alright, since in don't have an actual CD player, I plugged in my xbox360 which is playing music, I plugged in the red and white in the CD input on the back of the receiver. I scrolled to the IN CD option on the receiver. The speaker wires have a -.-.-. on one, and the other has nothing. I'm guessing the -.- is negative. I'm using Aiwa speakers. And they're plugged in on the FL and FR on the B side.

Still nothing. Is this right so far?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
The two speakers have sound, but it's extremely low, I can barely hear it, and the volume is on 18.0db

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
Thiago, Is there a reason you cannot ask the person that gave you the receiver. I am not blowing you off I just think that they will know exactly what to do provided it was in working order when it was given to you. Does the person that gave it to you say that they definitely know that it was working when they gave it to you or was this sitting on a shelf somewhere in his house and he really does not know? I really think your efforts would be better spent just asking the person who gave you the receiver -Just trying to help :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Oh, yeah, I asked the person of course. He didn't know much about it, it was just sitting on a shelf, he didn't get to actually use it. He was going to, but he got a better new one before that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 253
Well, unfortunately the chances are that it just does not work. I know you are probably disapointed to hear this -sorry :-) Have you tried Jim's suggestion of connecting an antenae to it to see if the FM tuner is giving any sound? That would tell you if there are any potential setup problems if you get sound that way. Connect an antenae and scan thru all the stations. If you get no sound it is probably just not working. Even if you had the speakers connected to the receiver and the speakers wrong you should be hearing something from the tuner.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us