Use HDMI for Video but not audio

Bronze Member
Username: Db77

Salem, NH

Post Number: 18
I purchased a HD LCD and want to run hdmi from the cable box to the tv because I understand hdmi gives the best picture for 720p.

However I do not want to use the audio on the TV.

How would I get the audio from the cable box to my av receiver so that it syncs with the video coming out of the hdmi cable?

What is the best way to do this?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 203
I have to assume your receiver does not switch HDMI. You may already have this done but all that is needed is to use one of the digital outputs on your cable box (either optical or coaxial) to you receiver and you should be all set.
You would then simply leave the volume off of your TV (but it could be used for late night viewing)

Hope this helps

Bronze Member
Username: Db77

Salem, NH

Post Number: 19
Thanks Jim.

You're right about my receiver. It's a NAD T763. Great sound but the technology bells and whistles are a little dated. No hdmi or even dvi on it.

I've been into the audio side of things for years but am just gettinginto the video.

I have heard that only certain types of cabels can accept certain signals. Example....I read that component cables can only do 1080i and not 720p or 1080p. I'v read that hdmi does all three. Is this true?

Also what looks better? 1080i or 720p?

I didn't get a 1080p set yet because there is really no 1080p source material other than blu ray and I don't see paying the extra money now for 1080p when there will not be a good amount of content for at least a few more years and by then the prices will have come down.

I picked up a 32" samsung lcd 720p set for like $750 and it's going to be our main tv now until we buy a 50" - 60" plasma in a few years when the prices on them and the blu ray players have become more reasonable.

I'd also be interested ina ny feedback that anyone might have regarding who provides the best HD sevrice. Up until now I've never had an hdtv but had directv. I will be moving to a new residence where the dish is not an option and will have to get comcast hd for my new tv.

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 31
According to the specs listed on this site: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/equipment/1204/nadt763.htm

You can simply run the digital audio cable from the cable box into one of the digital audio in ports to the T763.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 204
"I read that component cables can only do 1080i and not 720p or 1080p. "

This is not exactly true, if the two connecting devices are capable of processing the signals through the respective connection ports, either component or HDMI, the cables will carry them. In other words, the cable is not the limiting factor but rather the device (DVD, STB, etc.) is. Make sense in a weird sort of way?

The numbers 720 and 1080, put simply are lines of resolution so 1080 would be better but I think you will be happy for quite a while with your 720. I suspect that you will be replacing it in several years with laser but that is a whole different subject!

Lastly, all carriers, be they satellite, cable or whatever are in the middle of a huge transition and to say one is better than the other is tough to say at any given time. If the only choice you have is Comcast, well then I suppose you would have to make the best of it!

Silver Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 270
I have Comcast cable with their HD box and a new 720p LCD HD Vizio TV, using component cables and the audio and visual are BOTH extremely great..I couldn't ask for anything clearer or better..personally I see no difference/improvement in a 1080p TV or using HDMI cables..

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 369
There is a lot of truth to your statement. As you have already discovered 1080p televisions are not necesarily better than 720p televisions. There are other variables to consider although ultimately the best available 1080p would be better than the best available 720p in many cases the higher resolution is merely a selling point and not an indication of a better display device.

The other variable to consider is what is called source content. Source content is what and where you are getting the high def content from. What this means is that while right now you are having a hard time in discerning a difference you have to consider that most of the things you are viewing are not really capable of pushing your gear to their limits in quality. When the quality of the source content increases it is then you you will notice more of a difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us