Beginner - Thoughts on Yamaha/Kef combo

Username: Zoointhesky

Post Number: 1
Hi

I'm considering the following setup as a first HT system and thought I'd ask for your comments before going any further:

Yamaha RX-V463
Kef iQ1's rear
Kef iQ5's front
Kef iQ6c centre
Kef PSW2500 sub

Decent DVD or Blu-Ray player to come later, but I'll be connecting to existing 32" LG LCD, XBox 360 and satellite box.

Room is 4x5m, 2 walls front and back, full size glass sliding window on left with heavy curtains, open plan kitchen right and dining room rear-right.

Not much, but it's just on budget for me, and my local dealer provides a small discount on Yamaha/Kef combo's.

Thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 201
Have you listened to this combination at your dealer? You have chosen well respected equipment so the really important thing is how you think the system sounds.

The receiver has plenty of power and should be a great set up. Make sure to run the speaker calibration after you install your speakers to optimize the sound in your room and, enjoy!

Username: Zoointhesky

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the feedback, Jim.

Yes, I listened to it last weekend (with a 663, not the 463). It sounded good, but I wasn't blown away. A couple of other setups, such as Marantz (one of their entry level receivers and MT-20's, I think) sounded better - at a slightly higher price. I was quite surprised given the different speaker builds.

But I'm not convinced they had their setup of the Yamaha amp correct, and the guy helping me was young and full of "um's and ah's". Both he and I knew I don't know much about this, but his advice wasn't as clear cut as I'd hoped for.

I will try the same setup at another dealer this weekend - one recommended by a friend - and if I'm still not happy, I'll try the same speaker combo, probably with a Denon amp - another popular one here in SA.

I'm definitely looking forward to the move from a "one speaker TV" (for the last 20 years :->) to an entertaining home experience!

Thanks again.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 202
Well you seem to be doing your shopping correctly, the time you put in will pay off in the long run. I mean after 20 years a few more days won't hurt anything and if you plan to go another 20 years before the next upgrade, well you had best get it right hadn't you???

Let us know what you find out at this other dealer, I am very interested in Denon receivers and like to get all of the feedback I can.

Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us