I have the Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 Channel + looking for great speakers

Username: Damians

Post Number: 1
Hi all,
I have the Onkyo TX-SR605 7.1 Channel and I am now looking for a great 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system. My budget is about $ 1000 and I wish the rear speakers to be wireless.

I've been thinking about buying the BOSE ACCOUSTIMASS 10 SERIES IV but I fortunately made my research first. I've read lots of negative reviews from customers.

Can anyone help me on my research of good speakers for my home theatre?

Important: I would also like to have a nice looking set of speakers. I care about design (that's why I was looking for the BOSE).

Thanks for your help!
damian

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 188
It would appear as though you can get a wireless system that will hook to any speaker for about $150.00. With the remaining money safely at home or a bank with no easy access to it go shopping for your speaker system. Only you can say what sound (and in your case looks) good.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jim!
Any recommendations about this wireless system? Model/brand?

Besides, as I'm new at this, any specific suggestion about the speakers?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 193
I have no experience with wireless systems yet. I mean come on! I run wires for a living I saw a system by Samsung on Amazon to get the idea of a price.

Regarding speakers there are thousands to choose from (which I am sure is why you are asking) and here are just a few brands to perhaps begin your search with:

Polk, Paradigm, Klipsch, JBL, Infinity, Mirage, Boston Acoustics and many more that hopefully you can find and get a decent listen to. If you have a decent Circuit City or (remember you are not buying yet) "Best" Buy they can get you started by simply letting you listen to the difference between two brands.

Of course this all assumes you actually want to spend the time doing this. The biggest problem you have with your budget is that there are so many options (a good thing in my opinion). The good news is that it would be had to spend a grand on any of the brands I mentioned above and end up with a terrible system.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for your advice! As you say, this is quite hard for me due I do not have that time for research nor the experience, so I might be "fresh meat" for all those sales-men in BBUY/CCITY.

If you were in my position, which decision would you make regarding speakers? Do you have your favorites? Can you recommend any brand/model for each need?

Thanks!
d.

Username: Finndog

Post Number: 3
I have this receiver, love it. I run Bose 701's (vintage)don't buy any new Bose products. Your just gonna pay for name, the new stuff quality has gone down the toilet. I paid $250. from craigslist for the 701's.
Then I have ran two sets of Bose acoustimass series 3, both small bass modules front of room spread wide, with cubes at standard locations from ceiling. Then I added a Sony SA-WM40 12" Subwoofer Speaker, bought that for $25 bucks. I paid little more then $600 dollars and my system rocks. Keep in mind mines running all through HDMI and my new PS3 is frosting on the cake! Good luck, happy shopping.

Post Number: 7
Hi all,
Thanks for all your answers. They are really helpful.

I've been in 2 different best buy stores.

There is 1 guy who recommends the Klipsch Quintet III (which I should add a Subwoofer, though it is not included)

The other guy recommends Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600 which is a 5.1 speaker system including subwoofer. Both of them seem to be good choices.

Can someone help me in this though decision??

THANKS!

Bronze Member
Username: Jk_livin22

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 18
I am pretty much in the exact same boat as you. My focus is on music more so than movies and I am hoping that that distinction will help narrow down the list of contenders. Here is a post that I submitted on another forum:

I'm looking for home theater speaker packages/systems to audition that are under $900 or so. They will be paired with an Onkyo TX-SR605. The size of the room is adequate for 5.1 to a 7.1 system. My primary concern is the musicality of the speakers. One of the options I am considering is the Infinity TSS-750; however, if I go that route I would like to add a pair of Infinity Beta 10s as the fronts (Beta 20s are too large for the area) which would make it a 7.1 system. The problem would be the continuity of the front speakers with the center channel.

Another consideration is the Definitive Technology ProCinema 800. Again, I would like to maybe add a pair 1000s as the front two, turning this system into a 7.1, although the same issue arises as to whether the center channel would sound cohesive being different than the fronts. I could just go with the ProCinema 1000 but I really don't think I need that powerful of a system.

I have read good things about the KEF packages but they are far too eccentric looking for the room they will be used in (they have to be approved by the woman of the house, which is the only reason that the fronts will be monitor/satellites or very small bookshelves.) Again, my main objective is to find the most "muscial" 5.1+ system I can find. Please spare me the lectures on how "muscial" is subjective and that I need to bring all the systems home and hook each of them up to my system and see how each sounds with my equipment and position just so in my room, etc., etc. That would be an ideal situation that is neither practical nor possible; so, I am hoping that I can get some input on some systems that are largely regarded as being very musical, in so much as any HT speaker system can be. That having been said, I am not absolutely convinced that a HT speaker is my best option and am therefore completely open to any other suggestions on how to accomplish my goal of having great sound from small conservative looking speakers under $900 (perhaps a next to impossible goal?).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

p.s. There are currently Klipsch satellites connected to the system. They are speakers that came with an inexpensive Samsung HTIB and the sub is non powered and has to be replaced. The other speakers could suffice as surround speakers, but I definitely would like something with better imaging and a better soundstage with cleaner mids for the fronts. This of course would require a new center channel as well. Help!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jk_livin22

North Carolina USA

Post Number: 19
I hate to add to your confusion, but you asked for it ;)
Here is list of systems you may want to consider (a few of these may be slightly higher than $1000) -

Polk Audio RM95BPAK (sub not included)
Focal SIBSYSB 5.1
Acoustic Energy Aego T
Audica CS-system 1
Audio Pro Allroom 5.1
KEF KHT3005SE
KEF KHT2005.2
KEF KHT1005
Jamo A102HCS
Canton Movie CD1
Quad L-ite
Mordaunt-Short Premier Plus
Mordaunt-Short Alumni
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series III
B&W VM1/AS1
B&W MT-20
Triangle Galaxy 5.1
Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1
Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom

Also Wharfedale has several systems that may be worth a listen (Diamond 8 Cinema, Diamond 9 HCP, Diamond 9.1 AV)

Post Number: 8
Thank you very much for your answers. Your last one really confuses me. I would need a suggestion. I am currently with no speakers and I'd like to finish this quest.

Just to narrow the alternatives: Definitive technology is recommended? Any 1 other alternative? I cannot test all the models on the list, besides I wouldn't find minor flaws nor advantages from one another thus I'm just a newby at this.

Thanks!
d.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 500
The Def Techs would be a good choice. You will not find many of the other brands mentioned above in Best Buy. So for convenence and a good speaker go with the Def Techs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us