Advice on surround sound system

Username: Kraze412

Post Number: 3
I'm currently looking for a surround sound system. I am just looking for a receiver and speakers. I have a 46" Sony LCD and am using a PS3 for the blu-ray player. My current budget is around $1200-$1300. I went to a local Home theatre store and they offered me a package which consists of a receiver Denon AVR-1908 and speakers SLS EG5000 for about $1300. I'm just curious to know if those are a good set to get or if i could get something a little better for the money. I'm currently using 2 HDMI cables, 1 from hd cable box to TV and 1 from the ps3 to the TV. I also want to find a receiver that will play DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD for future wise. I've heard good things about the Onkyo TX-SR605 as well but not sure what else is good for the money.
Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Username: Jee0003

Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 6
hey, you have the exact same setup as me, 46" sony bravia full hd lcd tv, ps3 with moster hdmi cableing, and i'm also in the same situation, need to find a good surround sound system, lol, i didnt help you did I. anyway

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 172
The important thing here is how it sounds and feels to you! The Denon is a great receiver and may be a bit easier to use. The Onkyo is also an excellent choice although if you can afford it I would recommend the TX-SR705 but again, what are your feelings about them? First and foremost is the sound, if you can compare them at a store, which sounds better? Secondly, just playing with the remotes will tell you a lot about the operation. One might make a lot more sense to you than the other.

Crutchfield is a place to start (though you can probably do better on price, not always but most times):

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdComp.asp?g=10420&s=0&c=4&cc=01&compareIte ms=580TXS605B&compareItems=033AV1908&compareItems=580TXS705B

If you want to look at more brands:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Group/ProductMenu.aspx?showAll=Y&g=10420& tp=179

The only brand here I would stay away from is Sony but then again that is just my opinion.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us