PS3 and Hitachi 51SWX20B

Silver Member
Username: Pablo

Post Number: 103
I have Hitachi 51SWX20B and just bought PS3. Hitachi has HDCP V1.0 DVI. When I used HDMI cable with DVI adapter - no picture. I did the same set up with my dell monitor and it is working fine. So this is not PS3 or cable. What is wrong please??

Pablo

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 103
Found so far:

2. The DVI-HDTV input is NOT compatible when used with a DVD player from a personal computer.
3. When connecting a Set-Top-Box with a copy-protect digital out terminal, a high definition picture can be displayed
on the screen in its digital form.

This is directly from the TV manual and it would appear as though your PS3 behaves like "a DVD player from a personal computer" and you have some sort of copy protection problem going on.

So that defines the problem, more research is required for the solution.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
I saw this but PS3 and Hitachi are HDCP so I thought it will work. I think I have to buy component cable. dam.
Pablo

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
From Sony:

The HDMI cable is not included with the PLAYSTATION 3. If your display does not support HDMI input, you may attempt to use an adaptor (i.e., HDMI to DVI converter), however, we do not have any recommendations and cannot guarantee compatibility with the PLAYSTATION 3.

Visit our Knowledge Base article for proper HDMI installation guidelines.

We do not have any recommendations for converters that will change the output connector type from an HDMI cable to another type of video connection (i.e., HDMI to DVI converters). We also cannot guarantee that these converters will work with the PLAYSTATION 3 system.Additionally, the PLAYSTATION 3 system is only able to use one video output port at a time. We do not have information regarding connecting the PLAYSTATION 3 system to multiple displays.

The bottom line then would be to try an HDMI to Component cable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Sorry, I didn't see your post until I sent mine but it appears as though we both reached the same conclusion. I have seen that the component cable is cheaper that the DVI so there is at least that one the bright side!

Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 6
In case you didn't know, you can use SONY's component set up with either the PS2 or PS3. No need to purchase the aftermarket brands like Mad Catz, or the other one, SONY's brand is nice and priced resonable. Try Gamestop, Newegg.com, etc. to compare prices.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
I think component will be the only way to go. But sony component (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000F S10084529&catid=)
it is a bundle with audio. I send audio to arcam receiver via optical, so I will buy 3 party component for PS3.
thanks for the help
Pablo

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
I got sony cable - was told that picture quality would be much better then 3rd party. And will use optical to Arcam for Audio. Still dissapointed about this DVI. I was told that the problem is my tv's DVI is 1.0 and ps3 hdmi is 1.3. That is why they are not compatible.

Pablo

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Compatibility issues in THIS industry??? No way!!!

I am glad you are up and running though!

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
just called hitachi and was told that it is lotery. some devices will work some will not, and there is nothing they or I can do.

Pablo

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
GOT IT!!!
DVI-D is the answer! Just read this at some forum went to the futureshop and bought single link dvi-d on one side, hdmi on the other and PS3 connected with my hitachi no problem at 1080i.
It was frustrating but finaly I found solution.

Pablo

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2261
­
"I got sony cable - was told that picture quality would be much better then 3rd party."

"I was told that the problem is my tv's DVI is 1.0 and ps3 hdmi is 1.3. That is why they are not compatible."

"just called hitachi and was told that it is lotery. some devices will work some will not, and there is nothing they or I can do."

With this kind of "help" available from the "experts," no wonder people are confused. Pablo, when I read your original post, I knew something was wrong because my 15 foot HDMI cable with HDMI/DVI adaptor works fine on my old Hitachi.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us