Onkyo tx reciever owners click here to help

Username: Thom123ht

Post Number: 1
After alot of research i have decided on buying the Onkyo tx sr-805. It is going in a 15x23 ft. room. I own a new panasonic plasma, a playstation 2, and i will be getting a Blue-ray player within a year. With that being said, Give me some suggestions on speakers you own or have heard with the Onkyo receivers. Also, i need some help finding stores that have surround sound speakers hooked up so i can go listen to them. I live in the Buffalo, NY area willing to travel 50-60 miles to listen to some speakers. Oh ya, last thought ... i want to stay around $500-$600 for a 5.1 speaker setup. For that i am confident i can get a very good setup. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 93
Try this place:

SPEAKER SHOP
3604 MAIN ST
AMHERST, NY
716-837-1557

I don't know anything about it, all I did was go to the Paradigm web site and use their dealer locater but it seems a good place to start.

Please do not scrimp on the speakers, with all of your other very fine gear it would be a shame to not get the full benefit of the Onkyo.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for responding. I walked in, saw the lowest price for speakers and walked right back out. The lowest price was $1,500 for a temporary sale. Roughly 3 times as much as i can spend. Like i said, i am confident i can get a very good setup for $500-$600. I am looking for stores i can listen to some speakers. Any more help would be ... helpful

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
Klipsch:
http://www.klipsch.com/find-a-dealer/Default.aspx

Polk:
http://www.polkaudio.com/dealerlocator/wheretobuy.php

JBL:
http://www.jbl.com/home/where_to_buy/default.aspx

Infinity:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/home/product_support/where_to_buy.aspx?test1=1&La nguage=ENG&Region=USA&Country=US

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 163
I am an Onkyo TX-SR705 owner. These links are for 6.1 and 7.1 setups. Your Onkyo TX-SR805 can do 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1. You would not have to use all of them if you are set on a 5.1 setup. This way you would have them in case you want to expand from 5.1 to 6.1 or 7.1 These speaker packages msrp ranges from $449 to $549. What did you pay for you receiver?

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=SKS-HT240&class=Speaker&p=i

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=SKS-HT750&class=Speaker&p=i

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the response. I will be buying the onkyo tx sr-805 online for around $700-750. What speakers do you own and how do they sound?
Jim, thanks for the links, unfortunately that doesn't help me with finding stores that have them hooked up and ready to listen to. Aside from calling multiple stores it seems like finding stores that have multiple speakers hooked up to listen to is difficult. And some speakers are no where near Buffalo NY, which i find odd. Thanks for the continued help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
I own a set similar to the ones I sent you in the links. I also have some athena technologies sattelites. I do plan to upgrade though but if you are looking to spend that amount of money i think that the onkyo's are a viable choice. They sound very good for that price. They also have a solid construction.

Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 7
Have you tried looking at Onkyo's home theater sets? I don't believe HHGregg is in your area, but this will give you more choices that fit your price range and includes a nice pair of speakers.

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductListing.asp?SID=FA3FAA89E98347ACB4F68457AB48CD62&C ategoryID=316&CategoryName=Home+Theatre+Systems&SubCategoryName=All+Home+Theatre +Systems&PageNo=2

I own a 7.1 Onkyo system and it offers a nice complete system for the price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 177
Zero,

Have you taken a look at the TX-SR805? He is not going to find an HTiB anywhere near its quality... Just curiuos and maybe its me but to me we are comparing apples to oranges here. They are two completely different aproaches to Home Theater.

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
Zero,

Ok I checked the high end on those Onkyo HTiB's. The receiver included with the HT-SP908 is actually an Onkyo TX-SR605 as seen in below graphic. If you look you can pick one of those up for $400.00 (maybe less.) You can get a set of onkyo 7.1 speakers for $300.00. Putting the total at around $700.00 as opposed to the $930.00 price listed for the HT-SP908 on the site you are linking to. The Onkyo TX-SR605 is the entry level for a system like the TX-SR805 that Thom is interested in. Trust me, the TX-SR605 is found wanting when compared to the TX-SR805. Thom is going to pay $700-$750 for the TX-SR805 so with the Onkyo speakers at $300.00 his total would be $1000.00 which is a mere $70.00 more than the HT-SP908. Clearly going with the HT-SP908 would be a logical and financial mistake!

Upload

Post Number: 4
Hello,
Thanks to those who have responded with some suggestions and insight. I appreciate all the input. Keep them coming! I find it amazing that i can't find a store within 50-60 miles of Buffalo NY that has multiple speakers hooked up to listen to. (thinking of a business idea) To those of you clicking in to this thread but not helping ... shame on you. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2218
­
These are worth checking out:

JBL CS6100BG

http://www.hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/707jbl6100/index.html

Sold near you:

http://www.stereoadvantage.com/companyinfo.html

And the price is $500

http://store.yahoo.com/advantage123/jbl-cs6100bg.html
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
There are 7 Circuit City stores within 100 miles of BUFFALO, NY

Approx: 6 miles 3757 Union Road, Cheektowaga, NY 14225 Details & directions
Amherst, 3152

Approx: 7 miles 3040 Sheridan Drive, Amherst, NY 14226 Details & directions
Hamburg, 3153

Approx: 7 miles 1020 McKinley Mall, Blasdell, NY 14219 Details & directions
Greece, 3154

Approx: 63 miles 140 Greece Ridge Center Drive, Rochester, NY 14626 Details & directions
Henrietta, 3155

Approx: 64 miles 1575 Marketplace Drive, Rochester, NY 14623 Details & directions
Victor, 1695

Approx: 73 miles 20 Square Drive, Victor, NY 14564 Details & directions
Erie, 3744

Approx: 84 miles 7451 Peach Street Suite C, Erie, PA 16509 Details & directions

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2219
­
Thanks Jeff. Even though Best Buy doesn't carry Onkyo, it might be good if Thom checks out BB's 5.1 speaker packages.

Walden Galleria NY (Store 1152)
J107 Walden Galleria
Cheektowaga, NY 14225
Phone: 716-681-5406
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:30pm
Sun 11:00am-6:00pm

Amherst NY (Store 459)
1585 Niagara Falls Blvd
Amherst, NY 14228-2704
Phone: 716-837-9080
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm
Sun 11:00am-7:00pm

Hamburg NY (Store 1131)
3701 Mckinley Pkwy
Buffalo, NY 14219-2684
Phone: 716-824-2670
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:30pm

Clarence NY (Store 1455)
4401 Transit Rd
Buffalo, NY 14221
Phone: 716-633-2157
Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 180
Hey John,

What are your thoughts on Zero's HTIB suggestions. Also see my posts in response to him. Just wondering what you think.

The Best Buy in my area does not have much and the stuff they do carry varies from store to store. Mine does not even really have a setup for you to listen to their their speakers. The circuit city has some good stuff and you can actually listen to them.

Thom, if you decide to go to Best Buy you might want to call first to verify they are setup so you can actually listen to their speakers since that is why you are going....

Post Number: 5
Hello,
Thanks so much for taking the time to research some places for speakers.
I have visited Stereo Advantage and listened to a set of POLK 6750 with the Onkyo 805 and i liked them. I also listened to a set of JBL's (with the Onkyo) which seemed in comparision to the POLK's, not as "bright" sounding. Not as much high end i guess. I then went to Best Buy and they had nothing hooked up where it was a dedicated room to get the best feel for the speakers. I went to Circuit City and all they had were a set of BOSE in one room and a BIG set of POLK's in another room. So again not much to choose from which brings me to my current issue of trying to find stores with dedicated rooms with multiple choices. It would be a shame if a bought the POLK's only because that is one of the very few i have heard. Thanks again and keep the responses coming!

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
Thom,

If you only went to one circuit city this does not mean that another store will not have the setup you are looking for. It looks like there are 3 stores in your general area. I would make a couple of phone calls to the other stores and ask if they have the dedicated room you want. They might have it. The stores are all different. I did not think the Best Buy would have anything.

You can use the following link to get phone numbers on their store locator page.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/genericContent.do?oid=154701&c=1&cm_sp=masthead-_ -value%20prop-_-store%20locator

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Speaker Shop Incorporated

716-837-1557
3604 Main St
Buffalo, NY 14226
www.speakershop.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 184
Oops, look like you already went there. The other address says Amherst but it looks like it is the same place. -see above

Silver Member

Post Number: 185
Superior Sights & Sounds Incy - Write a review
2897 Seneca St, Buffalo, NYy - (716) 828-0800
Websitey - Directionsy

Loft Recording Studiosy - Write a review
48 Dellwood Pl, Buffalo, NYy - (716) 894-3374
Directionsy

Magnolia Home Theatrey - Write a review
1 Walden Galleria, Cheektowaga, NYy - (716) 681-5406
Directionsy

Amherst TVy - Write a review
4777 Harris Hill Rd, Buffalo, NYy - (716) 204-5889
Websitey - Directionsy

Ingram Microy - Write a review
7159 Wherle Dr, Williamsville, NYy - (716) 616-4000
Websitey - Directionsy

Antler Tech Electronicsy - Write a review
Buffalo, NYy - (716) 553-8711
Directionsy

Home Theater Solutions of Wnyy - Write a review
2251 George Urban Blvd, Depew, NYy - (716) 651-0444
Directionsy

Stereo Chamber Incy - Write a review
3079 Union Rd, Orchard Park, NYy - (716) 675-8300
Directionsy

Southtown Audio-Videoy - Write a review
75 Lake St, Hamburg, NYy - (716) 648-6565
Websitey - Directionsy

See user-created content New!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2220
"Hey John,

What are your thoughts on Zero's HTIB suggestions. Also see my posts in response to him. Just wondering what you think."

Sorry, I'm late with this Jeff -- got a very packed schedule.

Generally speaking, I think HTiBs are a rip-off. Most people don't like to spend big bucks on things they don't understand. That, and the promise simplicity is just too tempting. Also, the WAF also plays a part (which is one reason why the Bose Corp. is very rich.)

That said, I do think Onkyo's approach to home theater packages is better than most. I feel one could do a lot worse than this Onk 908 package. Here's a real receiver, decent speakers, and an HDMI upconverting DVD player thrown in for good measure. I realize that Level Zero's brick and mortar's price on the 908 is $900+ -- but one internet price is $784 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UN44HW

So it's not such a bad deal, considering the included DVD player -- and if you shop around on the net like you would for the 605 by itself.

Platinum Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2221
Thom, Jeff's point about not all big box chain stores being the same is a good one. They ain't all the same. The other day I found myself passing by a Best Buy, and since I had a few minutes, I went in. The last BB I was in had a cavernous dimly lit room in the back with all the speakers lined up with push buttons next to them. It was a terrible and depressing setup. This BB was different. There was a smaller room with a lot of speakers, clearly marked and numbered. These numbers corresponded with a touch screen, so one could switch around among the systems in the room.

I spent more time in there than I should have, but here is what I discovered. I did not spend much time with speakers that were clearly out of your stated price range. The bottom line is that I kept going back to a certain little JBL speaker. This thing simply sounded more open and less colored than anything in its price range.

http://shopper.cnet.com/separate-speakers/jbl-venue-monitor-left/4014-7869_9-319 32217.html

The natural center channel mate to the Venue Monitor wound be Venue center channel.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4104442

Eventually, one of the BB associates came in and I asked him to help me swath in the JBL 10" sub sitting nearby. It was hard for me to believe that the sub was so well setup for these speakers. I hate to use the overworked word "soundstage", but there it was. (BTW, I am not referring to the JBL 5.1 system SCS500.5 that BB sells for $411. This system is almost worthless.)

So, BB's price for 4 monitors, center, and the 10" sub was over $700. But this system could be yours for $440, if you buy it all from J&R Jr.com.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4104344

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4103973

I'm sure there's lots of other posibilities, but you could do worse than these.

Platinum Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2222
­
BTW Jeff, one of your store addresses above is actually a Best Buy:

Magnolia Home Theatrey - Write a review
1 Walden Galleria, Cheektowaga, NYy - (716) 681-5406
Directionsy

I haven't seen one yet, but some Best Buys have a store-within-a-store they call Magnolia Home Theater. They carry higher end stuff (e.g.MartinLogan!), so I don't think they will be of much help to Thom, unless he decides to loosen the purse strings a bit. :-)

Meanwhile, my local Circuit City has gone downhill recently. They used to have two audition rooms, one for the higher end stuff, and one for the rest. They ripped one out to make room for flat screens. (Hey, you gotta go where the money is, dontcha?) So the least expensive thing they have hooked up is an $800 Polk 5.1 system. The rest of the stuff is on endcaps and islands just sitting there unconnected.

Sorry Thom, I didn't want to get too far off topic. Have you thought about in-home trials from internet only speaker marketers?
­

Silver Member

Post Number: 189
Yeah John, I was just running out of suggestions so I did a search and just plugged everything I saw in it hoping that maybe he would see something he could use.

John,
I think we need to recommend some other criteria for rating the quality of the speakers he is looking for at that price since being able to listen is looking more and more like it is not going to be possible. Isn't there something else we can have him base his decision on other than actually being able to hear them. Frankly, to me, it looks as though this is not going to happen....

Post Number: 6
So i went and listened to Paradigm cinema 70 home theater speakers. They sounded very good. I also listened to POLK 6750 speakers. I liked those too. With those two in mind which one would you choose and why? Please be detailed and specific, not just " i like polks". thanks! Keeping in mind i am getting the Onkyo 805 receiver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
GREAT!!! I am glad you finally found someplace that actually had some speakers hooked up!

Regarding your next question, the choice is yours. Let your ears decide! That is what we have been trying to accomplish all along!

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the response. After looking at the specs side by side for the Polk rm6750 and the Paradigm Cinema (i've listened to both). I am confused. If someone with much more knowledge than i could look at the specs of these two speaker systems and get back to me on which is better and why. I LIKE BOTH SYSTEMS!! I just need some educated reasons why to choose one over the other. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
What number Cinema?

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
Thom,

The suspense is killin me! Where did you end up going? :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
Thom

It is difficult to know what specifications and how to evaluate those specifications for your indiviual needs as there are so many variables that will depend specifically on what you plan to do with them, how you plan to place the speakers, room size, the list goes on and on.. The most important factors are your ability to properly calibrate the speakers and what you think of how they actually sound. Fortunately for you the Onkyo receiver you are buying will do this for you using a microphone that you place at different locations in the room. Although I have provided a link for you to learn the different specs there can be and how to interpret those specifications, you can see that this is primarily based on whether you like the way the speakers sound and that you properly calibrate the speakers for your individual situation and again your receiver will do this for you....

Speaker specifications

Speaker specifications can be difficult to meaningfully interpret because there are many variables in the way speakers can be measured. The best way to evaluate a speaker is to listen to it but there are those of us who insist on thoroughly examining the specs and if you're going to read the specifications, make sure you know what they mean.

http://www.buyingloudspeakers.com/Speaker%20Specifications.htm

Post Number: 8
Thanks for the response.The cinema 70 series with a PDR-8 subwoofer. I found them at Speaker Shop. EVERYTHING else in that store is wayyy above my $500-$600 budget. The future speakers will be going in a 13 x 18 room. The TV is at the 17' mark. The couch is at the 2'mark. So about 14-15 ft. between. The center speaker will go either just above or just below the TV. the Fronts will go on both sides of the TV. The rears will go near the couch a couple feet above head level (when sitting) and pointing towards the couch. The Sub will be under the TV. I will use the Surround sound 90% movies and TV. 10% music. I hope that helps with determing which of the two speakers systems are better and why.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Personally the only spec I see that would make any difference to me is the 50 watt (Polk) sub compared to the 90 watt sub for the Paradigm. These numbers are misleading but if they are advertising 50 I would say that is not enough to truly enjoy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Thom,

The question that you are ultimately trying to answer is which of the set speakers are better for you and the best way to determine this. I understand that you are expecting an explanation of speaker specifications that will somehow make the decision for you.

What I am trying to explain is that the best way for you to determine which set better for you is to listen to them and form your own opinion regardless of the specifications are. There is no magical formula for speaker specifications that is going to make this decision for you.

If you want to become savvy in how speaker performance is measured you would need to do some research on your own on speaker specifications. It is really not feasible to educate you on something like this by means of this forum. If you do decide to do some research on this you are still going to find that the most important factor is your personal preference on how the speakers actually sound.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the specifications of the speakers are not nearly as important as you would seem to like them to be. Like it or not the deciding factor is what you think of how they sound not the specs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
BINGO!!!

Post Number: 9
I appreciate your help. The original question at the top of this thread was answered. I was given places to check out speakers. I found two models i like, not one, but two. I can't decide based on STRICTLY sound which one is better. Quite frankly, i don't want to "accidently" blow speakers, or cause damage to speakers and/or reciever. I don't want to pick one with poor constuction, or poor components. I thought that was a clear concern. Upon looking at the specs they seem similar to me. But again an educated look at the specs may help guide me towards one or the other. If no one can help with that question, then i'll go elsewhere in other forums with the same question. Or i will bring the specs to a few stores and ask some better educated (than myself) specialists for their opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Are you worried specifically about the input power spec? There is very little difference between anything else.

I see where the Paradigms is rated for 15 to 80 and the Polks are good for 20 to 100.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
I am sorry if I misunderstood your question. If your concern is whether the speakers are compatible then yes they are. There is going to be some sacrifice where construction is concerned at that price. I would not be concerned with that as it relates to how your receiver will be effected by this as both of the brands you are looking at are reputable.

Your TX-SR805 is going to power 7 channels with 130 watts per channel at 8 ohms and the rating on those speakers is fine for this. The receiver will actually be better for the speakers than others because its a cleaner signal. When this receiver claims 130 watts it means 130 watts not just a peak rating.

Sorry if I misunderstood, what I was hearing was "which of the set are better based on spec." not "are they compatible" I was just trying to make it clear that if you wanted to know which set was better based on spec that this was not realistic. The preference in spec is as much a matter of taste as anything. The specs that you prefer will ultimately be determined by what you think of the sound. This is not to say that at some point you will not be able to say that I prefer this spec over that spec just that to arrive at that conclusion the specs you prefer will be based on what you like about the sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Oh and by the way this forum must be the one that is going to tell you something different than what we are.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/speakers-subwoofers/271129-anyone-own-onkyo. html

We are only trying to help you and doing the best we can to help you. I am sorry if you do not like the answer you are getting but I don't know what else to tell you. No one is going to tell you anything other than was has painstakingly been provided here.

Username: Kableguy

Post Number: 1
thom h" i want to stay around $500-$600 for a 5.1 speaker setup. For that i am confident i can get a very good setup."

Talk about bottom feeding. You must not care about sound quality if your looking at something that small. you should have saved your money till you could afford something that is worth listening to. Like a small bookshelf (5 1/4 or 6 1/2) speaker.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
John, dude, it has been months since i posted that you idiot. By now i bought what i wanted, and it sounds great. And that is what really counts. Now go play in traffic.

Username: Kableguy

Post Number: 5
Im not the one that blew money on garbage! You could have done much better with a little more cash. just remember that every time you listen to them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us