Speaker wire question?

Username: Affiatati7

Lindenhurst, NY United States

Post Number: 6
I recently purchased the Onkyo HT-SP908 Home Theatre System (7.1 surround sound). It consists of:

- TX-SR605 Receiver 90 watts min. continous power per channel

- speakers: 2 way closed type, Impedence 8 ohms, max. input power 110 Watts, Frequency Response 60 Hz-50 Hz

The system sounds great though, at times, the center speaker tends to get static when someone screams or a loud noise is on screen while playing a DVD movie. I am using the original wire that came with the system (real thin).

Questions:

1- Is the speaker wire too thin and doesn't have the capacity at high volumes (starts getting static at Vol. #80 - range is 1-100)?

2- If I need a thicker gauge wire, what gauge should I get (my longest run is about 30 ft.)?

3- Is it worth getting "Monster Wire" or just a good premium Radio Shack wire. If so, what gauge/type?

I appreciate any help.

Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 83
Buy an inexpensive roll of 16 gauge wire, cross your fingers, and try it.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2180
­
I agree with Jim.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903 &p_id=2749&seq=1&format=2

Also. please read as much of this as you care to, especially the first section:

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

The thin wire they supply may be the problem. (Can Onkyo and others be saving that much money by doing this?) However the problem may be an over-driven speaker. I realize this system doesn't really get going until 50+ on the receiver, but 80+ is still pretty high. Anyway, hopefully larger wire will help out here. And do this for all the speakers -- your amp will thank you for lowering resistance on its speaker outputs.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us