Newbie needs big help-7.1 setup.

Username: Sam76

Post Number: 1
hello,i am remodelling my basement,and have decided to utilise the larger area for home theatre setup.since dry wall has not been put up,i still have time to do the wiring for the speakers,also i have bought different inwall/ceiling speakers(different brand)
have no idea which speakers work best for what setup,and what kind of wires or cables will be needed.any advice or any help will be appreciated.
some info
1.basement is bare,walls are bare(no dry wall,no insulation)space =20X14X9 (lxwxh)
2.speakers i have so far in hand (new in box)-
a)pair of jbl ss6dt (in wall/ceiling)
b)pair of psb cw180r (inwall/ceiling)
c)pair of psb m6.1s (in wall/ceiling)
d)pair of atlantic technology IWTS 10eSR (inwall/ceiling surround)
3.reciever - onkyo tx-sr705
4.lcd 47" olevia.

thankyou ( i would need help on which speakers to use for front rear,center,wires,wall plates,etc anything you can suggest will be appreciated)also need to buy the subwoofer.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 37
You can learn a lot by visiting the bragging area for the layout of your room.

Regarding your speakers though let me do some checking and I will get right back to you.

Post Number: 2
thank you,just forgot to add the basement layout it is open to the left about halfway,plan to put a glass double door,so it wont be a dedicated home theatre room,just a room to watch movies.also i am very new to the home theatre setup.i would like to know the details like what surge protector to use,wire(different gauges) and other small details,which one might overlook.
thank you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Wow, what an eclectic collection of speakers you have. Just for curiosity sake, why???

If it were me with this collection I would do the following:

Use the AT lwts 10 esr pair for the left and right main speakers.

Use the PSB cw180r pairs as the rears

(see: http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq4.html for placement info.

Use the JBL ss6dt for the backs

Use one of the PSB m 6.1s pair as a center*

This set up with what you have will work out pretty well but...

*If you have the chance to get one more of the AT's I would use that as a center then the PSB m6.1 pair for the rear and the PSB cw180r for the back then the JBL's for a remote pair.

Post Number: 3
sorry bout the assorted speakers,i got some good deal on the speaker.thats why its all mixed up.

when i bought the speakers i thought i was getting atleast half the speakers for ht7.1 setup.my intitial thoughts while buying these speakers were
psb cw 180r- for front left& right.
at-for surround l&r
either psb m6 or jbl-for rear.(other pair just for music in different rooms)

i thought i still would have to buy central speaker.

so thanks for the input.

the at speakers box mentions for surround(bipolar),so using it as main speakers L&R will work?

thanks again.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
My apologies, the web site I first went to showed me a completely different speaker. The AT's will be your rear's for sure.

It would appear then that the m6.1s pair would be better for the front left and right speakers but then I would use one of the CW180r pair for the center channel.

There is some trouble with mixing and matching the front 3 speakers. In other words I would use any of the three of your remaining pair of speakers if I could find a third one of at least the same brand for the center.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us