Home theater bypass w/tape loop?

Bronze Member
Username: 70chevelle

Post Number: 39
I've read a few posts about this, and was wondering about the actual connection and setup.

AVR pre-out to Pre-amp Tape-in. Pre-amp Tape out to Amp. Correct?

Then I would have to set the volume on the pre-amp to a repeatable level, engage the "Tape Monitor" and do the EZ-EQ setup for theater duty. Disengage the "Tape Monitor" and my 2 channel is seperate from my AVR, Correct?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2149
­
Thom, what are you trying to accomplish here and why?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
"what are you trying to accomplish"

Integrating a 2 channel amp for front surrounds and for a seperate 2 channel system.

"Why?"

My AVR sounds horrible for 2 channel, so I created a seperate 2 channel system. My AVR sounds good by itself, but much better with a seperate power amp connected (for home theater). So I'm trying to integrate both systems while still keeping them seperate.

I missed 2 decent deals on audiogon for pre-amps with the HT bypass, so I figured I'd give it a try without spending any money.

here's a brief thread:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/333373.html

I'm thinking there may be a compatibility issue with the pre-out from my avr to the line in on my pre, as I'm getting an audible buzz connected this way. I did connect it thru the tape loop and there was no volume control, as stated in the above post, so that doesn't do much good when switching to a cd.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2152
­
Thom, I think I get what you're trying to do. But without model numbers and a description of your gear, it's going to be difficult to be specific about connections. By reading between the lines, I'm assuming you have an AVR, accompanied by a separate stereo preamp and a separate stereo amp. I can only tell you how I visualize this scenario....and once again I am handicapped by not knowing the capability of your "AVR", and other things like whether you using separate players for DVDs and CDs.

Assuming this AVR of yours is a real one and not the central control amp/player common to HTiB systems, I would put the receiver at the "head end" with all the non-stereo HT type stuff connected to it. Ideally your AVR has separate multi channel analog outputs on it, in which case you could run the R/L signals only into any high level input on the stereo preamp. So, when playing a 5.1 movie, the AVR would power the center and surround speakers, while the stereo system would supply power to the front main speakers. Balancing the volume levels of the fronts with the rest of the system would not be too tricky, and once that's done the main volume control of the AVR would govern the whole system.

Meanwhile, when you want stereo only, you'd simply use the preamp/amp driving the front speakers while listening to your stereo source(s). The stereo would be operating independantly of the AVR, which you wouldn't have to turn on.

"I'm thinking there may be a compatibility issue with the pre-out from my avr to the line in on my pre, as I'm getting an audible buzz connected this way."

There should not be any compatibility issues with ordinary lines out to lines in. These kinds of buzzing noises can usually be traced to bad cabling or bad connections.

Before I go on, I need some feedback from you. Does any of this make sense to you?
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
John - You hit the nail on the head. Currently I have a HK AVR 247, Toshiba HDA2, NAD 525Bee, Carver CT-6 pre, TFM-45 amp and M-500 amp. I have the HK pre-out for the fronts connected to the Aux of the Pre-amp. I have the pre-out from the pre-amp connected to the TFM-45. I don't get the buzz as a seperate 2 channel, nor when I had the TFM-45 connected directly to the AVR 247 pre-outs. The M-500 is running the center. I've also had the NAD cd player connected to the aux input with no buzzing. That's why I'm thinking the pre-out from the AVR 247 is not liking the aux input on the Carver CT-6.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2154
­
"My AVR sounds horrible for 2 channel"

Hmmm...I suppose I wouldn't care for the HK either if I had all that old Carver stuff laying around...Upload

Can't say I understand this buzz issue. I mean the CT6's aux input works with other stuff, and the HK's pre-outs work with other stuff, so there shouldn't be a problem. Did you try hooking the HK up to another input on the CT-6? Maybe tape in? It's a long shot, but we're at the end of the possibilities now. Does this buzz go up and down with the HK's volume control? I take it that there's no such problem with the HK's center out into the M-500?
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
I disconnected the rca from the AVR (to the pre-amp aux) and still had the buzz. I disconnected the rca from the Aux of the pre and the buzz went away. I used that same RCA between the Pre and my CD player and no buzz. I'm going to connect another CD player to that RCA tomorrow to see if it buzzes.

I reconnected the RCA from the AUX to the Tape in, same result. The buzz is pretty constant at all volume levels. Prior to putting together the seperate 2 channel system, I had the 45 connected to the front pre-outs of the AVR and the 500 running the center. No buzzing. I'll do some more trouble shooting tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Update from this am. I took the particular RCA out of the system and replaced with another. Same buzz. I connected a secondary CD/dvd player, via the AUX, no buzz, but it would only play as loud as a whisper? I connected the NAD cd player to the AUX and it was fine, no buzz, proper volume. Seems like it may be an input/output level issue?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2158
­
"Seems like it may be an input/output level issue?"

Maybe. When you hear the buzz, what is the master volume control set at on the HK, and what is the HK's R/L level trim set at for the fronts during surround operation? Where is the volume set on the CT-6?

And just to make sure we're on the same page, the buzz is audible on the front speakers only, correct?
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
John - Master volume of the HK is normally around -25, which is also the default volume in the OSD. I can hear no audible change in the buzz with the HK volume control. The CT-6 is at 12:00, but whether it's at "0" or full volume the buzz is still audible, althought it does get ever so slightly louder/softer with the volume control. Yes, only the front L&R buzz, the center is fine. The M-500 is simply connected from the pre-out of the HK to the input of the 500. (ie: doesn't go thru the CT-6)

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2165
­
I was reading the other day about ground loop hums and other noises, and this guy traced his problem to the power supplies on his multiple LCD monitors. Could your TV be somehow involved here? I know it's a long shot, but I'm at my wits end with this thing.... Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
John, no, but don't sweat it. I am using a projector, and my audio equip is on a seperate circuit. I've come to the resolve that I will seperate the two systems. No biggie. I was trying to get it all done with the least amount of money. Since this isn't working out, I may have a Rotel 1075 coming which will finish off my theater needs, and I'll may end up with an extra 2 channel system. Thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us