Help for a home-theater beginner. Any and all help appreciated.

Username: Trschulte

Post Number: 1
Hi, and thanks in advance for all the help. I'm planning on buying a new condo in the near future, and I want to do a complete home-theater overhaul. Actually, it'd just be an initial haul. Here's my current setup:

• 42-inch Samsung plasma HDTV
• DirectTV HR20 HD+DVR
• Samsung DVD player
• Monster PowerCenter Stage 1 surge protector

I have no surround-sound or theater setup. I'm going to be buying all new equipment, and I'm also going to be implementing a turntable for the vinyl collection I've been accumulating. Here's a pretty-close idea of what my new cache will consist of:

• Samsung 63-inch plasma HDTV
• Upgrade to DirecTV HR21 HD+DVR Pro Series
• Samsung Blu-ray player
• TBD turntable

After this is where I get kinda confused. Do I need a badass receiver/surge protector for all my equipment? Does said surge protector come with a built-in iPod dock, or will an iPod dock be built into the home-theater/surround-sound system? What type of system will work best for my TV and music setup?

It pretty much comes down to I'm going to have a TV, a DVD player and a music player (I'd also make use of an iPod dock, if I didn't make that clear), and I want to have a solid setup for everything.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15197
Budget?

You are going to need a receiver if you want a decent home theater.

Silver Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 101
I would suggest doing some more research on Blu-Ray players. I just purchased one and my last choice would have been a samsung. I went with a panasonic bd30. It has the fastest load times and is the most reliable. It does deliver Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD sound to the receiver but does not have the decoder in the unit. I also just got an Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR and it decodes the sound from the blu-ray via HDMI. I think you can dock an Ipod with it. I would not trade it for anything. The Onkyo AVR is on sale online at circut city for 649.99 and they honor that price in the store.

Onkyo AVR:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/searchResults.cfm

Panasonic Blu-Ray:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Video/Blu-ray-Disc-Players/m odel.DMP-BD30K_11002_7000000000000005702

Post Number: 2
Not to sound aloof or anything, but my budget is open. If I need to spend X number of dollars to get a setup I'm happy with, so be it. I'd really just like to nail down some specs of what is needed, and then from there I'll kinda decide how far up or not up I'll go on the price range.

How much better quality do you get with a 6.1 or 7.1 system over a 5.1?

Thanks for the input, guys.

Post Number: 3
Also, in the few days I've been skimming these boards I've seen lots of references to the Onkyo AVRs ... I'm not really familiar, but I take it they're the way to go? What makes them so much better?

Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
How open is your budget? Have you decided how much you want to spend? Open is a big word here and I think you could end up spending more on this than you are aware. Regardless of how open your budget is there has to be a maximum -need to know what that is.

Post Number: 4
$10K

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
Ok, how much are the components that you have already decided on?

Post Number: 5
See, I haven't really decided on anything ... well, at least in terms on the surround system. But you mentioned Onkyo, and I been reading a lot of things around here mentioning that, too, so I was thinking that might be the way to go.

Also, I was re-thinking my TV choice, too. Consumer Reports just gave the 58-inch Samsung plasma a Top-5 rating (Samsung was what I first got, so I'm a bit partial, but I'd be open to other suggestions), and that's about a $3K difference from the 63-inch, so I think 58 will work just fine. So, roughly, here's what it's looking at:

TV: Samsung 58-inch plasma --- $4000
Blu-ray: $500-$800, depending on which way I go
Surround System --- Roughly $1000ish. Perhaps this Onkyo system

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-HT-SP908-7-1-Channel-Home-Theater-with-iPod -Dock-HTSP908/sem/rpsm/oid/205162/catOid/0/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Now, forgive me if this is blatantly obvious, but this is just the speaker/cd-dvd/dock, right ... the receiver is still separate? I was thinking perhaps the Onkyo you mentioned above or the 805 ... so roughly another $1000, if not less.

I'll estimate $500 on a new turntable ... and, what, probably three new Monster HDMIs at $120 a piece for the 4-foot 1000 series ... my stuff will be pretty contained, I'm hoping, so I don't think I'll need any longer-length ones. But anyway, one for TV to cable, one for TV to Blu-ray, one for TV to receiver. Does that sound right?

Anyway, I think that sums it up. Thanks for all the help, Jeff. I'm young (25) and pretty clueless, but I'm trying grasp as much as I go along.

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
I am not partial to what are called Home theater in a box. Everything you see there is included for that price. I have purchased home theater in a box but this was just a starting point for me. If I had your budget to work with when I did I would not have bought one of these. You don't need the dvd/cd player. The speakers are not going to be that great and that 230 Watt rating is deceptive. That does not mean that they are getting current all the time at that level. The 805 receiver is just that the receiver it does not come with anything else which gives you the flexibility to make your own decisions about speakers, etc... instead of buying the HT-SP908 and hoping it works out. MSRP on the 805 is $1099.00 but you can get it at circuit city for $799.00 right now and they will give you that price in store if you ask for it. Just tell them the online price at circuitcity.com is $799. I would do that and then get the most kick @$$ speakers I could find and a blu-ray that has HD sound output. The TX-SR805 is 130 watts a channel but that is what is known as true 130 watts per channel not some bloated figure that most people do not really understand.

Post Number: 6
So what's my best bet for putting together a 7.1 speaker system piecemeal?

Username: Itsmenotyou

Post Number: 1
This is a bit irrelevant but I don't know if you've considered brackets/wall mounts etc for the TV? I know when I was looking at setting mine up it suddenly occurred to me near the end of the process that I'd need a mount for my plasma TV. I can personally recommend a company called AV Now, http://www.avnow.co.uk if you do need a plasma mount cos their range of plasma mounts suits most TVs and I found their customer service good as well.

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 35
Greetings Tim,

I understand you are moving to a condo but:
What size room are we looking at?
What is the layout - are there 4 walls around the room you want to set all of this equipment up in?
How is all of the wire going to be run for the surround speakers?

This will make a big difference in determining what speaker systems to shop for.

If you have a very small room with 4 walls you may think about in-wall speakers, but then audio quality may be so important to you that free standing speakers are mandatory and you would be willing to shove floor standing speakers into a shoe box.

Regarding the AVR something to compare the Onkyo with is Denon and if you budget allows, the sky is almost literally the limit. Whatever brand you pick generally will sell an iPod dock as an accessory. You might also consider the DVD player and turntable of that same brand just to keep things simple.

Forget about those high buck cables with such short distances, find out why here:

http://customconnectionsonline.com/faq7.html

You have a good start to this set up but with some basic questions asked we can move along much faster.

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Tim, are you planning to buy speakers online or in a retail store?

Thanks Jim I was wondering when someone was going to help :-)

Post Number: 7
It'll either be a two- or three-wall room that opens into a living or kitchen area. I don't think I'll mind some free-standing speakers, and I'll probably be wall-mounting some.

Jim, thanks for the note and Web site ... I'll give it a look.

Jeff, I hadn't really put much thought into online versus retail. I was first trying to get my mind wrapped around which specific speakers I'd choose and then see where I can get the best deal.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Since you are not totally enclosed then we are likely to be talking about small satellite speakers for the surrounds.

If you were to purchase two floor standing speakers for the left and the right, a center channel speaker to place in front of the TV, a sub woofer then 4 satellite speakers for the surrounds (assuming 7.1) then how are you going to wire the surrounds?

The best situation is if this place you are moving to is being built for you. If it is existing then is there a basement with a drop ceiling or an attic with enough room to crawl around in?

Post Number: 8
I really have no f-ing idea at this point. I have some close friends who are electrical engineers, so I think I'll be able to get the ins and outs of wiring done without anything extraordinarily intenstive.

Right now my main concern is picking out the best speaker setup if I'm bypassing the HTIB plan.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
The it is likely that your next step is to go shopping to find out what you like to listen to. Are there any mid to upper level audio stores near you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
I agree with Jim, Go to the best store you have access to and immerse yourself a little into what they have until you have determined what end result you are looking for -decide what sounds good to you and what you liked about it. This will determine a base line to use in your final decision.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Tim, unfortunately its not really a good idea to just tell you buy these speakers. An opinion like that is just that someone elses opinion. It would be extremely biased to that persons likes and dislikes. Right now you need to know what is out there and what you like about it to be able to make an informed decision. You can only do that by listening to some speakers yourself -there your ears :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
When you go out listening, find one or a few speakers that you really like. From that point you can then find those speakers at the best price, either online or retail as Jeff was asking about previously.

Post Number: 9
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I'll probably spend my weekend in a couple stores checking things out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Wish I could go with you!!!

Post Number: 10
a couple of quick runs to the nearest best buy and circuit city were pretty worthless ... need to do some more investigation on my end.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
Perhaps the dealer locater here:

http://www.onkyousa.com/

or here:

http://www.usa.denon.com/

can help you find a better store.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts