AV Receiver Questions

Username: Gojcaj

Post Number: 4
I am looking to buy a receiver but need a few questions answered so I can better narrow my searching. I currently own an Xbox 360 with component video out and Sony Vaio FZ190 with HDMI out. My original idea was to connect these straight through my television (Samsung HPT 4264) and output the audio using an optical cable to the AVR. This method would certainly save me money in looking for an audio-focused AVR as video throughput wouldn't be needed. Would this set up be wise or would I lose audio quality from the television?

Bronze Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia Detroit area, Michigan USA

Post Number: 25
The only problem might be with an audio delay so look for a receiver that can compensate for it.

Username: Jr44

Post Number: 1
a general question about AV receivers. i am currently locked into component video to my video display. it is ok for now as i have no hdmi components. but i am sure they are in my future. Can HDMI input be output via the Component video output along with other component input?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2315
­
Jim, if you're thinking there's a Blu-ray player in your future, you are in for some disappointment. These players will output video via component, but at a resolution no higher than 480p on copy protected Blu-ray and DVD discs (which means almost everything commercially released). To my knowledge, there are no receivers that will downconvert HDMI video to component, and even if they did that output would also be restricted to 480p.

Username: Jr44

Post Number: 2
John, thanks for the response. i was contemplating the onkyo sr605 but it has been replaced with the sr606, which i noticed had only 2 component inputs as compare with the 605. so it sounds like i should try to find a sr605.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2316
­
The 605 has not been discontinued that long ago, so finding one near term shouldn't be too difficult.
Of course, there are many 3/1 component receivers out there, but right now few of them are HDMI 1.3 compliant. That certainly will change soon as the major mfrs catch up to Onkyo's lead. And not all those will cut back on component inputs (e.g. the new HK AVR354).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us