HDTV Newbie - Setting up

Username: Twopynts

Boca Raton, FL USA

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone.

I am ugrading (finally) from a 27" CRT to a HDTV soon. I am planning on going shopping at BestBuy tonight to see what is what and have been researching the whole topic online. I am not sure what I'll end up with, but I am leaning towards a 720p DLP set in the 42"-47" size range as I need to keep costs below $1000.

My components at home currently consist of a progressive scan DVD player, VHS, and a JVC mini-system for the audio, which also plays DVDs. I have the Harmony One remote to control it all. I also get Comcast basic cable, no converter box.

So, this is a pretty basic, low end system currently. I was wondering

1) if I would be able to get any HD content from basic cable if I get a TV with a ATSC tuner built in

2) what HDTV would you recommend in the $750-$900 price range (up to 46", no smaller than 36") and

3) what else would I need to get the most from this meager set-up.

I may be getting a PS3 down the road but am doubtful that is worth paying a premium for 1080p when I am not getting a TV larger than 50".

Thoughts?

Thanks.
~Kort

Bronze Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 98
In order to get hd content you have to subscribe to it and you will not get it with basic cable. It takes a cable set top box with the ability to process an HD signal. An HD ready TV is meant to receive a signal from a normal aerial antanae (one that sets on your roof) and is not going to process a signal from comcast. With comcast this usually requires the DVR version of their boxes. HD TV's can have the ability to control the HD programming but this is thru what is called a cable card that you would plug into the TV and would also be provided by comcast. Whether HD is offered by comcast could only be determined by contacting them and asking if they offer it in your area. With your basic cable all those stations will be broadcast in 480i.

Your progressive scan DVD player will give you 480p and does look good. You could get one that upconverts to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p but I don't put a lot of stock in that and do not think its worth the investment. What I would consider is what form of output the DVD player has -hdmi, component, s-video, or composite. The best of which is obviously hdmi so if it does not it may be worth getting one that is but regardless I would say that you want it to be at least component but remember that even this is still analog.

Unless you are ready to invest in a better surround sound system I would say you are pretty much stuck with it.

The PS3 can be connected HDMI and as far as I know it still plays DVD and obviously plays blu-ray so that would solve your possible DVD player issues.

I still like Sony's LCD rear projection TV's over DLP. The DLP can have a very good picture but I think over all the Sony is still better and would be much more reliable although this is the last year they are producing them. Probably because they want to sell their flat panels. Remember that the color wheel and technically even the micromirror device in DLP are mechanical and therefore doomed to fail at some point. The Sony has no mechanical parts other than cooling fans. I have had a Sony LCD rear projecion for a few years and have NEVER had a problem with it. Be very careful in your research about determining the reliablility of the DLP type TV's you are looking at as this is very shakey ground!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2124
­
Kort, while you were at best buy last night, you may have noticed the Insignia NS-PDP42. This entry level 42" plasma flat panel is supposedly made by LG and is just under $1000. FWIW, the latest issue of Consumer Reports gave the 37" Insignia LCD panel a decent review.

The Insignia has, in addition to its ATSC HD tuner, a QAM TV tuner which may permit tuning in HD channels on basic cable. Some cable companies encrypt the HD channels, so your milage may vary in this regard.

Prices have seemed to level out some. Finding anything close to a top level 40+" display at under a grand will be very difficult indeed.
­

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
John, I have comcast cable and there are no HD channels in basic cable. In order for me to get HD channels I have to subsribe to there HD service and use a set top box that decodes it. The basic cable channels are 480i. My HD channels start at channel number 191 and if I had basic cable channels starting at 191 would not even be a selection. I am just curious as to how 480i stations are being considered High Def.? Maybe I am doing something wrong? Thanks!

Boca Raton, FL USA

Post Number: 3
I am going to BB today, so appreciate the feedback. I will check out the Sony. I heard the Insignia has serious burn in issues, so was not considering that one. But I will look.

I called Comcast and they said there are some basic channels (ABC,CBS,PBS,FOX) that I will be able to get in HD with my basic service, as long as I have a QAM tuner in the TV. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the feedback, I'd love to hear more.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2125
­
Jeff, I was a little hasty in my reply to Kort regarding QAM. Having a QAM equipped TV hooked up to basic cable does not guarantee full access to all the HD channels on that particular cable system. The best you can hope to get is the local channels in HD. And maybe not even them if you have a greedy cable company. Strangely, my only QAM TV will pick up only FOX and NBC in HD. I used to get those PBS nature shows in glorious HD, but even that is gone now. I went back to a non-HD cable box on that set because we wanted to watch movie channels on it.

These HD channels, by the way, show up with strange numbers such as 6-24, or 101-203 (depending on the cable frequencies and the TV manufacturer), and they may show up anywhere in the channel sequence after an auto digital channel scan by a QAM equipped TV.

If your Sony is anywhere near as old as my first HD display, you may not even have a ATSC (for antenna use) hi-def tuner, and you certainly won't have a QAM tuner. You will have a traditional cable-ready NTSC tuner, which will tune in any non-encrypted (unscrambled) channel on cable, excluding any un-encrypted HD channels. I believe QAM tuners started to become common around late 2005, but even today you can't assume it's standard on all current model TVs.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2126
­
Kort, I suspect that you'll come home from Best Buy with some serious sticker shock. As I said, there's not a lot 40 inch or above displays out there under $1000.

"I heard the Insignia has serious burn in issues, so was not considering that one. But I will look."
Being a plasma, that Insignia has no more burn in issues than any other plasma. Yes, burn-in is a concern with plasmas, but with reasonable care (especially during break-in) it isn't a huge problem. If burn in is such a big problem, why do you think there's so many plasmas still being sold today? Furthermore, why would a huge outfit like Best Buy be messing around with these Insignias if they were such a big headache.

The one reason not to buy a plasma is if you were going to use it in a brightly lit room, where ambient light can't be controlled. Plasmas run a little dimmer than other display technologies and look their best in darker rooms. And properly calibrated, plasmas will deliver a better picture than any other fixed-pixel technologies out there.

That Insignia 42" is on sale today at Best Buy for $800. See if you can top that.
­

Boca Raton, FL USA

Post Number: 5
Nope, couldn't top that. The Insignia was the best HDTV deal there. (the burn in issue was mentioned by cnet.com. Strangely, I saw very few rear-projection HDTVs...I was hoping to compare more.

The TV would be in a very brightly lit room, so I'm glad I didn't go that route. In fact, we ended up not getting ANY TV :-(

My wife saw a 24" screen iMac for sale and she "persuaded" me to upgrade my home computer instead. A better investment she says...

Well, I guess I have to wait on the TV (yes, there was some sticker shock), but at least Star Wars Episode III never looked so good as it does on my new iMac! ;']

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
Don't take her with you next time :-) LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us