Home theater system

Username: Nicholixc

Post Number: 5
I'm looking to buy a home theater system, just a reciever and speakers w/ sub, no dvd player. I just bought a 37" lcd tv and now would like the surround sound to accompany it. It is for a bed room so it doesn't need to be too excessive. Would like to spend between $200 and $300. I was currently looking at the Onkyo HT-SR600. How is the quality on the Onkyo? Other comparable 5.1 systems?

Username: Rickcain

Onkyo's good stuff, you can't go wrong with that system.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2031
­
I don't think you can get an HTIB any better than this for $300. The Onkyo systems give you something that resembles a real AVR that you could use with other speakers, should you want to upgrade in the future. The only thing I don't like is the lack of an LFE line output for a powered subwoofer.
­

Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 2
I have an Onkyo HT-R520 6.1 decoder. I do recommend it and would recommend something of this type over other expensive systems as the technology changes so often. You will get great sound from one of these units if you are careful to set it up properly so be ready to do some studying when you install and setup. I would do some research on the output you will get from a blu-ray disc or hd dvd player and confirm that the home theater you decide on wil give you the sound you want from one of the hd disc players if you do plan to get one eventually.

Post Number: 3
John S

My Onkyo has an LFE line out for powered subwoofer??

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2051
­
Jeffrey, I'm not sure aboout your 520, but the receiver that comes with Nick's HT-SR600 (HT-R340) has a "subwoofer" jack, but it is an input (not an LFE out) along with other channels for hookup of a DVD player with analog multi-channel line outputs.

Post Number: 4
You are right although I think this is fine for Nick's application. In my opinion this is overkill for a bedroom. You will not want a lot of bass in there anyway and the room is probably not big enough to need a powered subwoofer especially if there are others in the dwelling to consider at bed time :-) It does matter if this system could ever need to be upgraded or moved to a room where it would matter. Another thing to consider is that it has no in and out for hdmi and s-video but if you are not planning on switching devices with it then this too does not matter unless again you want to upgrade it or move it to another room where it would be a consideration.

John, do we agree that the unit does have an output for a subwoofer and does have a passive (not powered) subwoofer that connects the same way the other five speakers do -positive and negative using standard speaker wire?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2053
­
Yes Nick, the Onkyo 600 HTiB comes with a passive sub (the receiver's internal amp powers it), and no the receiver does not have a standard LFE line output.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us