Sony DAV-HDX265 no signal

Username: Lowgear

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I recently purchased an Insignia NS-LCD26 tv and a Sony DAV-HDX265 HTIB.I'm new to this stuff so please bear with me.

I'm having a lot of trouble hooking my tv up to play through it. I want to have the audio from regular tv play through the surround sound speakers. shouldn't be difficult right? Well I can't get it to do that and ive tried a million different things over the past couple days! I can get it to do everything else though.

We have cable tv but no set top boxes. Do I screw the the coaxial cable into the home theater unit or into the tv? Im guessing the tv because the place where you can screw it into the home theater unit seems to be only for FM radio connections. Although it seems more logical that the cable signal should go into the the home theater unit before the tv. So thats my first question.

Ive tried to hook this home theater unit up to the tv with composite cables, S-video cable, and finally component cables, and I still cant get it to work. The only cable I haven't tried yet is an HDMI one. I changed the appropriate settings in the home theater unit and the tv for each corresponding cable and still nothing.

Right now I have the component cables hooked up between the tv and the home theater unit. I have the tv and home theater unit settings set to use the component cables, and I have the coaxial cable screwed directly into the tv. I lastly have the home theater unit set on the tv/video funtion. With that like that I figure I should now have a picture on the tv and the audio from the tv going through the surround sound speakers. But this is not the case. All I get on the tv is a small square that says "No Signal"

Hopefully you can help me out. This is been very discouraging. I have only two ideas left. The first is its not working because I don't have a set top box. The second is that theres something wrong with the unit itself. But like I said I can get it to do everything else its designed to do.

Thanks

Post Number: 2
I think I figured it out.

Now my next question is about audio. my tv has a SPDIF digital audio connection but my receiver doesn't. This is most likely a long shot but is there such thing as an adapter I can get for the receiver to give it a SPDIF digital audio connector in order to get true surround?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2009
­
"Now my next question is about audio. my tv has a SPDIF digital audio connection but my receiver doesn't. This is most likely a long shot but is there such thing as an adapter I can get for the receiver to give it a SPDIF digital audio connector in order to get true surround?"

Sorry, because the Sony receiver has no digital audio input, there's no easy way to hear discreet digital surround sound from the cable on your audio system. Typically the TV's optical output only functions on digital signals coming in, so any analog channels would be silent from this output. Also, not all the digital channels will have 5.1 sound. You will hear Dolby Digital Stereo (2.0) on many. My point here is that the TV's optical out may be of limited use even if you could hook it up to the Sony receiver.

Your best solution is to use the TV's R/L red/white analog outputs into the Sony. You could then hear surround by using the excellent digital matrixed sound via Dolby Pro Logic II (Music or Movie) that is built into the Sony.
­

Post Number: 3
Hey thanks for the reply.

Yeah after researching it some I realized that the digital sound isn't all that its cracked up to be. I was under the impression that in order to get surround sound from tv channels you needed digital audio. I thought the analog connections just gave you stereo. Which I guess they do but then like you said the Dolby Pro Logic II decodes it into the surround sound.

I've decided to stick with the analog connection. I did order some better cables then the junk i'm using now though.

On a side note all i've read is people ragging on these HTIB systems but you know what some of us don't have a lot of money. I've heard some high dollar systems and they don't seem better enough to warrant the price tag. The human ear can only hear so well, and the older you get the worse you hear anyways. So I'm glad this board has a section for these set-ups.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2015
­
"Which I guess they do but then like you said the Dolby Pro Logic II decodes it into the surround sound."

Don't get me wrong, discreet digital surround is preferable. But DPL II is the next best thing and does a pretty good job of synthesizing surround sound. It does pretty well with music CDs, as long as the rears aren't too loud imo.

"On a side note all i've read is people ragging on these HTIB systems but you know what some of us don't have a lot of money."

You don't have to apologize about this HTIB. Believe me, no $300 sound system will impress everybody. Just set it up the best way you can and enjoy. Look at it this way...it beats using the TV speakers.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us