Connecting receiver to old HDTV

Username: Jmendez

Post Number: 1
Short Version:
Can I connect an HD source to a receiver through HDMI, and then connect that receiver to my tv through component video? Does it matter if the original source is 1080p (i.e. will the receiver then downconvert to 1080i)?

Longer Version:
I received a PS3 and HTIB for xmas, and I own an older HDTV (2003) that has DVI and component inputs but not HDMI. The HTIB I got doesn't have any inputs (it was really a dvd player with speakers), so I'm exchanging that. Eventually I'll upgrade to a newer TV, so I'd like a setup that will work with my current TV but also will handle my upgrade (so HDMI output).

As much as I'd like to get something actually better (my techno-lust keeps going up the more I research), it's not in my own budget right now so I'm sticking with something close to what I received as a gift.

What I'm looking at currently is the Sony HT-DDW995: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=1055 1&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665089040

I recognize there are various shortcomings to it (that are common with other HTIB's in this price range) but I'm mostly concerned about my question above. If that's not a problem, is there anything else that should make me steer clear of this model or is there something else in the price range clearly better? Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1992
­
Why would you want to run HDMI through a receiver if you didn't want to run HDMI to the TV?

There are only two reasons to run HDMI from a video source through a receiver. First is to use the receiver for switching convenience. A lot of receivers only offer HDMI "pass-through" which means that the receiver will not extract audio from the digital bitstream on the HDMI signal. In these cases a second digital audio hookup is required.

Furthermore, no receiver I know of will downconvert an HDMI input signal to an analog component signal. What you can do is feed the digital video signal to the TV via an HDMI®DVI cable.

Second, the only other reason to hook up HDMI to a receiver is for it to extract the audio signal for use in the surround system. But this only happens in AV receivers capable of doing this. This capability is by no means a given.
­

Username: Jmendez

Post Number: 2
Well, I'd love to, I just didn't think I could, since my TV doesn't have the HDMI input. But I didn't know about the HDMI->DVI cable, so that should make things significantly easier, given your answer.

I'm interested in both reasons; I'll be switching several systems so the convenience will be nice, and I'd like to get the audio. It seems the linked system will extract the audio (though not Dolby TrueHD, but I can live with that for the price), so I think I'll be grabbing it along with an HDMI->DVI connector.

Thanks for the help!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1993
­
If it's not too late, let me make one more suggestion. Just get a standard HDMI to HDMI cable and hook it up to a DVI-D male to HDMI female adaptor like this one. That way you can use the HDMI cable on any newer TV you may get in the future.

I used this adaptor on my old DVI display from my HD-A3 HD DVD and it works like a charm!
­
Upload
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us