Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 Channel Home Theater System?

Username: Lilsnoop40

Post Number: 1
hi, i just purchased this for my basement this xmas. i am trying to setup a surround for my movies and xbox 360 gaming. along with new Onkyo HT-SR800 i have a Pioneer PDP-5071HD Plasma and the Toshiba HD-A30 High-Definition DVD Player. i went out today an purchased me some Monster Cable XP brand from best buy. 16 gauge i believe, i was told 14 gauge wasn't all that important since those speaker for the surround sound won't have much bass coming through them. i am wondering if this speaker wire is ok to use for this system. i won't be running any piece's bigger then 30ft. the two rear will be 30ft while the fronts may be 15ft at the longest. i bought a some Monster Cable - Quick Lock Gold Flex Pin Connector (2-Pair Pack) to put on the speaker wire to plug into the speakers and i bought Monster Cable QL GMT-H QuickLock Gold Banana Connectors (2 Pair) to connect from the other end of the speaker wire to the Onkyo receiver.lastly i bought that Logitech Harmony 550 Universal Remote to run everything from my hd dvd player to my dtv to my xbox and what no. is this all ok and will it work together fine or is there somethings i could do with out? thanks for the help. i will greatly apprciate it.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1986
­
Thanks to you, some lucky Monster salesman will bring home the bacon to his hungry family.

Just joking. Seriously, it sounds like you are on the right track. You've got some nice stuff. Enjoy.

Come back here anytime with any specific question you might have.

Post Number: 2
is there anything i could change about this, going to install it all tomorrow. is the 16 gauge ok for this? thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1987
­
8 Ohm speakers, like those in this system, should be fine with 16 gauge wire at your distances.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

You have not mentioned how the player and the game console will be hooked up to the TV.
­

Post Number: 3
maybe like this...

1. connect Xbox 360 hdmi to Onkyo HDMI input
2. connect DirectTV hdmi to Onkyo HDMI input
3. connect HD-A30 directly to your Pioneer TV and use the optical audio cable to connect your HD-A30 to Onkyo's digital optical audio IN.

is this ok

Post Number: 4
anyone?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1988
Hey Snoop, let's not get too impatient. Truth is, there's few people on this board who care to take the time to answer your questions.

1. connect Xbox 360 hdmi to Onkyo HDMI input
2. connect DirectTV hdmi to Onkyo HDMI input

OK so far. But there's a small problem. Because the Onkyo's HDMI connections are "pass-through", you will hear no sound on the surround system from either the xbox or the satbox. So you will have to connect the digital audio outputs from both in order to hear the Dolby Digital signals available on both the satellite system and the xbox.

Now there's another problem. All three of your video sources have only optical (TOSLink) digital outputs. The Onkyo has only two optical inputs. So your choices become:

1. Settle for analog stereo audio from one of your sources by using the red/white R/L outputs into the Onkyo.

2. Use an optical coax converter so you could go into one of the Onkyo's coax digital audio inputs from one of your video sources.

http://www.amazon.com/DAYTON-DAC-OC-OPTICAL-COAXIAL-CONVERTER/dp/B0002MQGQS

3. Use a three in/one out optical switch to feed one of the Onkyo's optical inputs.

http://www.meritline.com/toslink-3-way-optical-cable-switch.html

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1989
­
anyone?

Snoop....you there?

Post Number: 5
hi john. i think i messed up i order this Coaxial (RCA) to Optical Toslink Digital Audio Converter when i think i should of ordered this here right:

DAYTON DAC-OC OPTICAL TO COAXIAL CONVERTER

think i ordered the wrong one so i order the DAYTON DAC-OC OPTICAL TO COAXIAL CONVERTER to be safe and will cancel the other order once you confirm.

thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1991
­
OK Snoop. Let us know how all this turns out for you. Good luck.

Post Number: 6
i changed everything around again. i ran my directv receiver via hdmi to the hdmi on the onkyo. then i ran my toshiba hd-30 via hdmi to the onkyo 2nd hdmi. then i ran an hdmi from the onkyo hdmi out to the Pioneer PDP-5071HD Plasma. now both my directv and toshiba play on input 6, i just have to make sure either one is turned off before trying to use the other. so now i have one free hdmi for my xbox to use on the Pioneer, but i need to get a optical to coaxial converter for the audio. since both the opticals are being used on the receiver i will need on more spot. so the xbox 360 will have digital sound

Post Number: 7
john, read above i asked you a question to make sure i ordered the right piece please

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1994
Just make sure the adaptor has optical IN and coax OUT. Like this one.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=180-961

Adapter - optical IN and coax OUT

Username: Kishore

Dubai

Post Number: 1
wow..john..u seem to know it all and helpful too...i desperately need help in buying a home theatre system. this is what i was thinking :

i've already bought a panasonic plasma 42 inch.
thinking either onkyo / yamaha receivers
no idea about the speakers...need help..plus all the various wires..etc

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1996
­
Thanks, but I really don't know it all. I have learned a lot in the last 4 years, but I am nowhere near expert level. This is even more true when it comes to speaker selection. The only advice I can give you is audition as many speakers as you can and go with what makes sense to your ears and your budget.

When you are in a position to ask a more specific question, start a new thread over in the home audio/speakers section. The guys there are more informed than I about speaker/receiver choice and combinations. Be sure to include your budget, room size, and anything else that might affect equipment choice. Good luck!

By the way, the Panasonic plasmas are very nice.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1997
­
Also Kishore, read this:

Speaker Shopping Tips

Post Number: 8
i have the Onkyo HT-SR800 and i just got it completely up and running. but when i try to use the master volume on the receiver... it doesn't work. it used to, then i noticed i was getting shocked everytime i went to touch my receiver. i have tried resetting the receiver a bunch of times along with pulling the plug and letting it sit over night and still doesn't fix it. actually i when i try to power on the receiver it doesn't turn on when i click power i must push a button on the front of the receiver. please help

Username: Kishore

Dubai

Post Number: 2
Hi...took ur tip..read the details on the link...also went and heard quite a few speakers and their performances...and i'm now thoroughly confused!! In Dubai there are these packages that are being offered.

1. ONKYO-TXSR705 & JAMO SPEAKERS WITH 250w output combination of 5 speakers.

2. YAMAHA RX-N600/RXV-661 & BOSE ACOUSTIMASS 15.

3. Harmon Kardon AVR 245/445/247 with JBL Northbridge E80/E10/E150/EC25.

Basically the more popular/available speakers in Dubai are Bose, Jamo, Wharfedale, Def Tech, Infinity, Harman Kardon, JBL, Focal JM Labs

AV Receivers are Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz & NAD.

The dealers who make the combos typically have the following brands within which they make the mixes...

Dealer 1 - Onkyo / Denon / NAD / Jamo / Wharfedale / Focal JM Labs.

Dealer 2 - Bose / Denon / Yamaha

Dealer 3 - Harmon Kardon / JBL / Infinity

I plan to spend approx $2000 on the AV/DVD player and Speakers...and my living room size where I plan to place my home theatre system is 13ft * 17ft....and the distance from the TV to my couch is 9 ft...I've already picked up a 42 inch plasma from panasonic as mentioned earlier...and hey thanx for the compliment on that one.

Not sure, if this is sufficient for you to help me decide my home theatre...but I definately need HELP !!

Things I thought would be useful info :

1. I'm more into movies than music

2. I'd like a radio AM/FM feature

3. I like the Yamaha N600 feature of a USB port and its internet connectivity feature..with my wireless lan at home..it'd be useful to plug into internet radio..and most of my music is in MP3 format in my lap top..so thought a USB port connectivity can be easy for music access..

4. I've an Xbox & regular satelite TV & and iPOD which also needs to be plugged in thru the AV.

THIS IS MY FIRST BUY!! HENCE CAN UPGRADE LATER WHEN I HAVE A PERSONAL HOME THEATRE ROOM..FOR NOW I NEED SOMETHING GOOD FOR THE EARS..MORE THAN A SONY HOME THEATRE OF SORTS..NOT JUST BASIC..AND IS ALSO BANG FOR A BUCK!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us