Sound Volume loss w/ Digital Optical Cable?

Username: Number90

Hales Corners, WI United States

Post Number: 2
Hello - Really perplexed as to why I'm losing power of audio signal when I was told I would get more.

Here is the skinny:
I have:
TV: Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR4
AMP: Denon AVR 1800
Speakers: Front Left / Right - Polk Audio Towers.
Center - Polk Audio. Rear Left / Right - Polk Audio "M" Series.
An HDTV cable box (provided by Time Warner of Wisconsin).
Plus a Subwoofer which has the front Left and Right speaker connections from the amp got to the subwoofer / then out of the subwoofer to the Front left and right speakers.

Hope this gives a good view of my system.

I was told to hook up a DHMI cable from the Sony Bravia to the Cable box. Then run a digital optical cable from the cable box to the Denon AVR 1800 amp.

When I do this the sound is good but the volume range (which appears on the amp display as "from -60 "to" +3 max) when I had it hooked up to my old Toshiba 32" tube or with my current CD player (Sony 5 disc) will blow me out of the room at around -20... higher than that it would probably either auto-shutoff or start breaking windows (no kidding).

Now with the current set-up, if I want to really crank-up a movie I have to go all the way to -10 and can max it at +3 for a real theater shaking experience. But, although loud, I feel like there could be more at times.

Bottom line is this new hookup with the digital optical cable is somehow sucking the true audio power the amp provides by an estimated 30-40%.

I removed the digital optical cable and replaced with original audio cables. I got more power but lost "Digital" reception - just gave me "analog." I re attached the optical digital cable and get "optical / HDTV" sound... but, again muted.

I try the CD player and it cranks... either way.

So I narrowed it down to the digital optical cable. Bought another one - no help.

Any ideas??? Would really appreciate some input.

And, just as a side note... if any of you "experts" want to address as to why digital optical cables fit so loosely in many components... I would be interested to know. Aren't they supposed to be a universal fit?

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1980
­
The first thing I would check is the master volume control on the front of the cable box --- not the volume on the cable remote control. Make sure it is at maximum setting.

If that doesn't help, I would schedule a service call with TW. There could be a problem with the cable box's optical output.

I have never had any problem with "loose" optical cables.
­

Post Number: 3
Thanks John.. you know, while trouble shooting this I actually tried that but when adjusting the volume conteol on fromt of the cable box it was non-responsive. No display, no reaction, nothing. Figured it was maybe a default setting that could not be adjusted. Then moved on to other tasks that I thought would solve the problem.

Any clue how to access the cable box volume settings in order to adjust as you suggest?

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1981
­
Make and model of the cable box?

Post Number: 4
OK.. got it:

Brand: Pace
Model#: DC551P (d-c-five-five-one-p)

Thanks.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1982
­
"Any clue how to access the cable box volume settings in order to adjust as you suggest?"

Actually, I had forgotten that my HD box's volume control is, like yours, unresponsive --- even though my other non-HD digital boxes' volume controls do work. There doesn't appear to be any setting on the box's on-screen menu that addresses audio in any way.

Have you tried the coax (S/PDIF) digital output? It is labeled "Digital Audio Out" and is above the optical out.
­

Post Number: 5
No... have not tried that. Guess I'll pick up that type cable and give it a whirl.

Perplexing that the box has a volume control. But, there is no way to adjust it.

I appreciate your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us