Receivers Onkyo,Sony,Pioneer ?? Help Please

Username: Krawdd

Post Number: 5
I've got an older Pioneer (25+ years)that I've run a makeshift surround sound system.I'm not looking to spend alot on a receiver,so I've basically started with the cheaper entry level models.While most are basically offer the same options I'm wondering which one may be best suited for me.Here's my needs for hook-ups

Dish Network,DVD Player,CD Player,I-Pod
What I'm wondering is if I would be able to hook my computer into these receivers (Very Large Digitial Library).
onkyo TX-SR304
Sony STR-DG510
Pioneer VSX 517K
Sherwood RD8601
JVC RX5060BK
I'm looking to stay under $300 and all these are basically under $250.If I missed something that may be a better option please let me know.I have great respect for this forum as I was greatly helped choosing a Big Screen last year.If you have any of these let me know the good,bad and ugly.Thanks to all.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 466
I own the Pioneer VSX-1016K, which I believe is pretty much the same as the 517K, except that the 1016 has more powerful on-board amplification. I really like mine.

Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Mass USA

Post Number: 7
I have seen a lot of Onkyo hate on this forum but I really like mine. They sound pretty clean and while they might not hit advertised power levels, they go loud without distortion. I have heard the older versions of the 304 in stores and it sounds decent.

However since you said you'd go up to $300, look into the Onkyo TX-SR505. It has a lot more features, power, and 7.1. It's $240 right now on Amazon.

The Harmon/Kardon AVR-146 also looks nice, but I haven't personally heard it. From what I remember HK makes a good sounding unit though so I would expect some good quality from it. It has a lot of similar features as the Onkyo 502, but is only 5.1.

I would stay away from low end JVC and especially Sony. My low end JVC was decent for the price but it got distorted very easily (just above normal volume). Low-end Sonys usually do the same (even sales people told me to stay away from low end Sony when I was shopping for receivers).

Register at Shoponkyo.com. If you don't mind refurbished, they have really good member deals. The 505 I mentioned is going for $149, the 304 for $99.

If you would rather buy new, here are links to the two I mentioned:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR505-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B000OBOGEG

For some reason, Bestbuy.com doesn't like linking my link won't work. Just go on their site and search for Harmon Kardon 146.

Hope that helped a bit.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 472
Good advice Freddie. I'm actually considering getting a HK AVR 146 myself for my secondary system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us