Samsung surround sound help

Username: Jjj5284

Post Number: 2
I've just purchased my Samsung 50" Slim Depth DLP TV - HL-T5076S and a Samsung Single Disk Home Theater Surround Sound System - HT-X40T. Also, I use an HD cable box.

My question is, can I have Surround Sound when watching cable tv & the DVD player? If so, what cables will I need and how do I hook this up?

I'm a beginner when it comes to this type of stuff - thanks for your help.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1952
­
Follow the Samsung surround system owner's manual for the hookup regarding the TV and speakers, etc. You should hear sound when you play a DVD.

You then need to connect the cable box's digital audio out into the sound system's optical input. You'll need to get an optical cable for this. If the cable box has a coax digital out then you'll need a converter for coax®optical. Got it so far?
­

Post Number: 3
Thanks I got it so far. I will buy an optical cable tomorrow and try this. Will setting it up this way eliminate the sound comming out of my TV speakers? - or do I turn the sound off in the TV setup?

Thanks - like I said I'm a beginner

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1955
­
Before you come home with an optical cable in hand, make sure you know what type of digital audio output is on your cable box. If that output jack looks like a single round RCA jack, then your life just got a little more complicated. This is because I don't believe the Sammy surround receiver has the same type of input.....
­

Post Number: 4
The cable box & Samsung receiver both have same digital audio output/input. I placed an order online for the correct cable (cheaper), which I should receive later this week. Thanks for your help John.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1956
­
Good deal Jim!
Come back if you have a problem.

Username: Akazukinchacha

Post Number: 1
how do i connect my game console to my home speaker system and tv? was told to connect digital cable to speaker receiver and hdmi to tv. but i still dont get sound!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14828
Start a new thread, don't hijack this one!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us