Issue with surround sound

Username: Leston22

Post Number: 3
okay so I installed a whole surround system, yamaha amp, and when I play the FM tuner, all speakers sound good.

However, when I play the TV (Sharp Aquuos 52) only the front speakers and the subwoofer sounds, leaving out the rear speaker and the center.

The hd direct tv reciever is connected directly to amp. Any idea on what could be the issues?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 442
How are you connecting the direct TV to the receiver, HDMI, Digital or Optical cable, composite (yellow) cable? Have you done a proper setup with the receiver and the cable box? You may have to configure the digital input on the receiver and the digital out put on the cable box.

Username: Leston22

Post Number: 4
im connecting the hdmi reciever to the tv, and the red, yellow and white cable to the amp... thats what I was told I should do

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 94
Connect your DirecTV receiver to your amp using an optical cable. That way, you'll be able to get true surround sound from programs that offer it.

I'm not sure who told you to use analog cables, but as you have it hooked up now, the best you will be able to do is Dolby Pro Logic or some other DSP (or stereo obviously).

As Casey said, once you've hooked up your receiver with an optical cable, you still may need to adjust your DirecTV and Yamaha settings, according to your manuals, to get digital sound.

Username: Henry33

Portland,, OR US

Post Number: 2
Hey, HT fans - I'm looking for a new home for my Integra DPS 10.5 Universal Disc Player. Great shape, org. box, manual etc. Google the rave reviews of it everywhere. SRP was $2500; I'm asking $1400 plus shipping. Contact me at scriabin33@aracnet.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us