Onkyo HT-S580 lost sound after being fine for years

Username: Cabe5

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 1
Well,
My Onkyo went nuts. It have never been moved or rewired since i bought it and set it up. One time we switched over to my girlfriend's newer dvd player, but it was having trouble reading the disk or something and we switched it back, after that we had no sound. Well I tried to fix it, but they got impatient and wanted to watch the movie so the used the TV sound and I left it alone for the past 6 months thinking it was just a setting that they hit while trying to get sound on before asking me to help.
Well I sat down tonight (months later) with a new optical cable and the already installed coax digital cable. I messed with the settings for hours, but no sound. Only sound I got was from the speaker test and it was varying types of static from the speakers ,sometime nothing at all as it t cycled the display would say "left surround speaker", but it was the front right that made the awful static sound, then it would say "center", but it was the subwoofer that the crap noise came out of.......
well we gave up and tried her DVD player and it was working fine except the Onkyo still made no sound, all the other channels had static on them, like VCR a stuff, but they have nothing hooked up to them at all, just a dvd player in and out on mine. SO it still did the same stuff, sometimes it would detect Dolby sound and click in using DTS or Dolby sound, then it would lose it or DTS would flash in the display, but never any sound, unless i switched to a non used channel om the onkyo.
Also, when I took the dvd out it click over and over like it was switch from stereo to surround back and forth.
Well I gave up on the coax cable and switched to the optical. It seemed we were going to have a break through, but the speakers were still static and all mixed up, the DTS still dtected and left and flashed.....no sounds at all when on dvd. When put on auto detect DTS it never saw any input of surround sound of the DVD player, it just said "dvd" or "DVD stereo"
SO 3 hours later I gave up.
I even reset it to factory defaults and started over, nothing.

I did check the back and none of the wire were crossed. I am just confused to all F why this things just decided to go nuts. Like it got hit by a lightning storm or something, yet it is on the same powerstrip as the HD TV , cable box, Tivo, and dvd and none of them are fried.

so any ideas or solutions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us