N00b-correct setup?

Username: Audiogreenhorn

Post Number: 1
First off, I have a "starter" system. A Sony 32" HDTV with 1-DVI port and a Sony 5.1 receiver/DVD combo but regular Direct TV not HD. If I upgrade to HD, would you connect DVI from TV to HDMI out port on receiver? Then connect component video in from satellite box to component video out on receiver? I assume I would have to also run optical from TV to receiver for sound? I'm really a n00b at this.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1847
­
Hey Shane, it's OK we all start somewhere.

"If I upgrade to HD, would you connect DVI from TV to HDMI out port on receiver?"

Yes.

"Then connect component video in from satellite box to component video out on receiver?"

Aaahhh, NO! Why would you want to send any video signal from the receiver into the sat box?

"I assume I would have to also run optical from TV to receiver for sound?"

No, the optical out on the TV is there only if you receive a digital signal via the TV's antenna input with the TV's over-the-air tuner. What you should do is send the satellite box's digital signal (optical or coax) into the Sony receiver.

Good luck.
­

Username: Audiogreenhorn

Post Number: 2
OK. So DVI goes to HDMI port.
So what do I connect my satellite box? Receiver or TV?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1850
­
Shane, let me back up a little here and change something I said above. There's always more than one way to hook up audio/video components. All I can tell you is what I would do. Also making suggestions is a little difficult because without model numbers, I can't be sure what hookup terminals are available on your equipment.

1. Connect the DirecTV HD receiver's HDMI output directly to your TV's DVI input using an HDMI to DVI cable. There is a possibility of a compatibility problem, even though HDMI is supposed to be backward compatible to DVI. This hookup will work or it won't. You'll know right away. If there is a problem you can fall back to running component lines from the sat box to the TV. Just don't spend too much money on that HDMI cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023102 &p_id=2218&seq=1&format=2

2. Connect the sat box's digital audio output into the Sony receiver as I said above.

3. Connect component video cables to the TV from the Sony so you can take advantage of its progressive scan DVD playback.

That's it. You will have to switch inputs on the TV between the satellite box and the DVD player. I think the DVD player will over ride the sat box's audio feed when you start a DVD, or you might have to switch inputs on the Sony receiver as well. Check your owner's manual on that question.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us