Component Video Question

Username: Rt33

Post Number: 1
I am trying to connect my cable television signal to my new Optoma projector. It does not have a coax cable in, so right now I have routed through a VCR which only has composite video out. I'd like to go up to component video out, because the project can take component video in. However, I have not been able to find any product that converts coax cable to component video. Is this possible? Any help?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1846
­
"However, I have not been able to find any product that converts coax cable to component video. Is this possible? Any help?"

Welcome to the forum RT. Yes, that product you seek is called an "HD cable set top box." Rent one today.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3578
You can use a DVD recorder to get component out from coax in. This can convert the cable signal to 480p, if the projector will accept 480p, giving much better picture quality. You can get a DVD recorder pretty cheap on Ebay these days. Some of the new DVD recorders don't have a tuner because of the upcoming switch to digital, so make sure you get one with a built in tuner.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1848
­
Thanks David. Your suggestion will indeed work, at least until the switch to digital. But then when that happens the question is will the cable companies convert basic channels to NTSC, or will that tuner become worthless overnight?

The real question is why would anyone install a new projector without a Hi-Def video feed?
­

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 265
I suprisingly have never had cable or satlite because it costs money!!! and paying for DSL is bad enough, but if I did I thaught that the cable or satlite tuny boxy thingy would have our very sexy freinds red, blue and green

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3581
There are new DVD recorders with ATSC tuners. I haven't read anything about QAM tuners yet, so I don't know about that one. The FCC has mandated that local analog channels are on cable until 2012, national channels aren't covered by that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us