I need help my Nad T762 die

Username: Sunshine108j

Post Number: 1
I am not experience with home electronics and I will like some advice. Three years ago I got what I consider a good receiver, the NAD T762, build a subwoofer and purchase a pair of Magna Planers model MG 1.6 /QR I thought this will be an investment that I will last me for a lot longer than 3 years, but as electronics change so does my appetite for newer and better things. I would have not considered redoing my entertainment systems, but my receiver die, it began with my front display flashing and then finally dying.

I been looking into getting the following:
Denon 4308 receiver

The Pioneer 5080 HD or the Panasonic TH 50PZ77u

A pair of rear speakers (not sure what will complement my Planers speakers)

A center speakers

And last a good subwoofer ( the one I build is so big, it just does not fit )

After all the frenzy of looking at new stereo equipment (and jealous that you do not have it) I focused on what is best equipment in the market (knowing I can never really put that kind of money into one) and going into every forum, only to end up even more confuse, I started to reconsider my Receiver and I will like to fix it and see if I can use it for a few more years at the same time I will to take advantage of all the latest gadgets and screen resolution that industry has to offer.

I WANT: HDMI 1.3a with HDMI outputs, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders, Deep Colour and xvYCC support and Auto Lip Sync. A Faroudja chip to up-scale to 1080P, an audiophile chassis construction design, a Compressed Audio Restorer and a DAB Tuner, features a USB, Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity, music streaming from my PC (AAC, MP3, WAV, WMA), photo streaming (JPEG), net radio and three zone room-to-room capability.
But this is not 100% possible with my current system even if I can get it fix.

I was wondering! can I use my Receiver like a component? What I mean by this is use it as a control system and purchase some other really good component that does all this new things that I WANT? I just hate to buy something this year and as standers change by next year, or better TV resolutions comes (1080p) out, I have to discard this nice new system for a better one (I am beginning to like the old component theory)
I also need some advice on speakers, I will like to have 7.1 surround sound, but for now I am ok with 5.1, I do not think I will give up the Planer speakers, I went to a local dealer and asked for some advice and he said that for my planer speakers he recommends the Kenton and definitive that this subwoofer(12woofer), center speaker and rear speakers will match up with my Magna Planers MG 1.6 QR. He sales this speakers and I want to verified if this are the best match for my current Planer speakers or will someone PLEASE recommend something else, given what I have or should I be considering the Denon 4308? With what speakers?This madness has to stop , help.

Sincerely yours,

the insane shopper

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 273
please dont buy a Denon, let me do some research for you

Post Number: 5
Thank you for the responses, as I move closer to a decision I am going to continue pestering for information. I think I am going to keep the planers 1.6 ( I got them because I love music and they have done well for that) and perhaps I will get a high end amp and preamp. There is one brand that one of the local dealers suggested, but for the life of me, I just cannot remember the brand name, but what I like about this brand is what he said that all of this systems can be upgraded as technology matures and all I have to is send it back and pay the difference, I really like the idea of having component, perhaps you can share some of your knowledge with this type of systems or maybe recommendation one or two. I wish I can remember the name, I will check with him tomorrow.

As for the speakers, I am beginning to understand for 5.1 surround sound, aside from the front speakers, the center speaker and the subwoofer are the most critical, but the back speakers are not as critical! Giving this knowledge, I will keep the front speakers as I am sure you guys know that this kind of speakers are of ribbon type (not that I know what it means), I need the center speaker and back speakers match to the front speakers(I am told that is important); it should be an easy choice, right? Just simply get the center speaker from the same manufacture and be done with it, but I have a problem with this.

I first try to find them in the web (not as easy) and did some search to see what have they come up that is new and how active they are in the community. From my findings I go the impression they have not come out with the pass 3 years and was reaffirm as I talk with that at their office representatives, the person I spoke with only wanted to sale me any of the speaker that where under the 1.6's as back speakers and the only center speaker they had. I did not feel she had good knowledge of their products, she gave did not give me any info about the quality of center speaker other that I should really buy them.

With this knowlage, I really think I should get another brand of center and side speakers. Therefore, I need help matching a center speaker as well as the back speakers and a good subwoofer with the characteristics of my front 1.6's . As great as the JL's sound for a subwoofer, I do not think I want to put 3.5 thousand for one of these beauties, there has to be others that are as good for less?

For the Amp and Preamp l will wait a few months, in the meantime I gather research about components (amp & preamp) if you can be so kind as to suggest a center speaker, back speakers that has similar properties so they can match well, for the center I will like to spend no more than 1 thousand, for the subwoofer think between 1 to 1.5 thousand, but I am not sure for the back speakers any suggest would be most welcome.

Thank you once again for your help

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 629
Denon sounds like crap to me ears. The T762 is a great receiver as far as power and sound quality is concerned. The Denon is good at neither of those things. Look elsewhere. The new NAD line of receivers that is just being released may be an option if you liked the sound of the T762. Perhaps a higher end Onkyo/Integra may be an option. Or a higher end Pioneer Elite. I think as far as Sound quality goes, none of those will beat the NAD T762. The higher end Integra may be close, really depends on your tastes. For a grand you can get a Paradigm Studio series center channel. Or something like it in another brand. LIke PSB or something. There is so many options out there in that price range, that you really have to do some listening for yourself. Do you have a dealer? If so, what do they carry. If you dont have a dealer, I suggest getting familiar with one. Local if possible. Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
ok, Fred as im doing some research Im looking at the CC3 right now and have no ideas of quality, I dont have any experience with this technology

getting your receiver fixed could cost more than its worth, the Magnepan speakers are 4ohm speakers and I think I remember some posts on maggies saying how they require lots of power, your receiver could have failed because it was getting over worked, a high current system (separates) would be the answer, Im looking at these as a posible future upgrade for my system http://www.emotiva.com/products.html if you want to stick with the NAD then nick hear has a possible place to get refurbed NAD stuff for good prices, but Im not sure if the maggies sound better with a certain brand, but I will see if I can find something out

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
I dont see how Kenton or Def tech speakers could match at all, http://www.martinlogan.com/ martin logans I hear good things about, they use electrostatic, cones and dome mix that seems successful

yes the center channel is getting more important, in my opinion the rears and center are just as important in a surround sound system as the fronts.

my center and rear speakers are the strongest point in my system my fronts are the weakest point, its the complete opposite of most systems, I will upgrade my fronts in the future but having very big and strong center and rear speakers give a complete surround sound feel for movies and music

Post Number: 8
Thank you for your help

I been reading a lot about timber matching a ribbon type of speakers and got me a little scare of keeping my Magies 1.6. I do not want to but a system around a pair of speakers even if it means giving up my magies 1.6 if I cannot get a good center mach because of the ribbon design. This is a link I read and made rethink again if keeping my magies was a smart move. By the way I been looking at the Anthem 50 (not now, but in the near future) this is the link I found https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/182566.html I really like to find the right equipment and it looks like it will take a little longer that I thought.

Please be patient with me

Fred
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us